• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Arnold Schoenberg

Share/Bookmark

Arnold Schoenberg

What the heck was he thinking? I've never been able to completely read through the first part of his book on harmony. I have to skip all that jive cosmic debris and get to the meat and potatoes! The guy must have been "harmoniously nuts"!
    I'm starting to believe they were all on some heavily tainted brownies during their lives. As a matter of fact ... where are those anyway. Ah yes, and milk too!
    Eh, I'm probably the only one. Well, back to the book.
    Styxx

Re: Arnold Schoenberg

Testing one two three! Just checking.
    Styxx

THE MAN'S HARMONIOUSLY NUTS!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Schoenberg was definately an interesting cookie All jokes aside, he had some really interesting views on music. It's such a trip to listen to some of his more tonal early writing after being exposed to so much of his atonal serial works later on. While I'm not a huge fan of serial composing, I have to say that atonality does have its place at times. I never thought I'd use it myself, but it slips into various things now and then when it seems appropriate. Just a broader (or narrower, depending on how you look at it) brush to experiment with while painting a new piece Always good to expand the toolbelt.

I had no idea the guy even had any interest in music. Where does he find the time between politics and acting (if you can call it acting)!!
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Harrumph! As if you can call those chicken scratchings by Schoenberg music! My Dad, a pro-musician loves Shoenberg, ""it's so mathmatical"".

Sorry Pop, but Yuck!

Steve

I started reading his book at the beginning of the semester. I'm now on page 24.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Harrumph! As if you can call those chicken scratchings by Schoenberg music! My Dad, a pro-musician loves Shoenberg, ""it's so mathmatical"".

Sorry Pop, but Yuck!

Steve
    Exactly! I often open his book just to try to figure out what the he ll he was thinking!! Not that I am a scholar on Schoenies harmonies just interests me between the lines. Mathematical? Yes, but interesting and useful in some cases.
    Then again, I'm the guy who will put down my instrument just to watch the Three Stooges!
    Styxx

His book on harmony is for common practice tonal music, you will not find anything about his 12-tone music there. lol

BTW... for those who think Schoenberg was not the master composer, I highly suggest they listen to Pierrot Lunaire and A Survivor From Warsaw.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by David_Carter
    Where does he find the time between politics and acting (if you can call it acting)!!
    hah! Governor Schoenberg! The aTonal-ator!

Personally, 12-tone composition was a revelation to me, and applicable in many ways. Here's a mutant variation, moreso in the middle:

Cello Trio

Improvised live from one keyboard via MFX plugins. Left hand controls one of six "modes" of 12-tone clusters (like a key-switch), right hand plays the top line, with the other two parts automatically harmonized beneath.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum