• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't get MIDI into GS3 via MOL

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Can't get MIDI into GS3 via MOL

Hello,

I am fairly new to Gigastudio, and Windows PCs. I am trying to get a MIDI signal into GS3 via MIDIOverLanCP. My signal is coming out of my Mac and into my PC. I seem to have set up MOLCP correctly because the light flashes in the MOLCP Monitor (in both PC and Mac) whenever I hit a key on my keyboard (which is connected to the Mac).

However, I cannot seem to get anything into GS3. I have selected 'NETPORT 1' for 'MIDI In Port 1' in GS3. The channel and port setting in Cubase on my Mac are set to output on the same port and channel.

In order to test the MIDI, I have also connected MIDI lead directly from my Mac (Midex8) to the MIDI in of the RME HDSP9652 interface of my PC. I can get a signal into GS3 if I select 'HDSP MIDI In1 (1)'. However, if I select the 'HDSP MIDI In 1 [GSIF low-latency]' Ports I cannot get a signal there either (with the correct Midex8 port assigned in Cubase).

I have also been using the VSL Performance Tool, but the problem exists whether I have the PT application running or not. So that can't be an issue. At the moment I'm not running PT, so I can concentrate on getting a signal from MOLCP into GS3.

The corresponding MIDI ports in GS3's MIDI Port Display are green, but do not flash red when I play the keyboard. Port 1 only flashing red when receiving a MIDI signal through the MIDI cable as described above.

If anyone can spare a moment to help me out I'd be really grateful, as nothing I have tried seems to work. I'm started go go bald through constant hair pulling!

Cheers,
    Mobius.

Re: Can't get MIDI into GS3 via MOL

There is a free utility called MIDI-OX ( http://www.midiox.com/ ) that monitors all your MIDI ports, which is very usfull for trouble shooting.

Open that on the PC, which will take Giga out of the equation, and check the incoming MIDI streams. If you're getting MIDI data over MOL, then the problem is in the Giga configuration. If not, it's in the MOL configuration.

I have the same problem. Been there, done that. It's something else. MoL is receiving Midi, I can pass it to other apps. But I have Layla24, MOTU MidiExpress and MoL. I whle ago (2 months) it was all working fine, could select any version of the midi ons, and they all worked.

Then out of the blue (maybe latest update, but I don't think so) Giga would only recognize the Layla24...

Have had no luck with this to date...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I'm pretty sure you do NOT configure MOL as an port within gigastudio. At least, in my home-made version of midi over ethernet, the midi data comes from the ethernet into what shows in your system as a midi OUTPUT: the gigaout port 1,2,3, or 4 (for gs 2.5). So you do NOT want an assigned midi IN set within gigastudio, it would override the configuration of the gigaout port. Set the midi in ports in gigastudio to NONE for those ports driven by MOL.

Check your IP address and make sure you're in the network range... that's the most common problem I run into. Especially if the system has worked before. You have to force the IP to what you want with some routers. jc

Question Re: Can't get MIDI into GS3 via MOL

Hi,

Bill, I checked the inputs using the MIDI-OX utility. A funny thing happened. Once I'd configured the MIDI-OX Devices to connect the MOL Net ins, to the corresponding Giga Outs, I could receive MIDI data within both MOL, and MIDI-OX. However, I tried to launch MIDIbar (a MCI MIDI File player) as well and this crashed my Mac requiring a restart. This was while simultaneously launching Cubase SX3 on the Mac. The PC did not crash. I suspect it could have been a MIDI loop - the usual culprit for crashing Mac OS X (.3.9) which is 99% of the time rock solid.

I rebooted the PC as well just to be on the safe side. However, once I was back in MIDI-OX and sent some MIDI data from Cubase, there was absolutely no data coming into it. The light indicators on MOL were flashing whenever I sent data through on the correct Port input. If I changed the Output port in Cubase, and transmitted more data, the corresponding Port light would flash in MOL, but MIDI-OX, somehow, just could not see it. I rechecked the MIDI Devices info and Port Routings in MIDI-OX and they were all assigned correctly and as they were before the crash.

Seeing as all the settings are the same, and that MOL is receiving data, I'm wondering if something got corrupted on the PC. But I have no idea what that could be, and even if I did, how to correct it.

I never got the chance to launch GS3 to check again before the crash.

Gugliel: I had already assigned the GS3 MIDI ins to "None", and tried every other port just in case, but no joy. Only the HDSP Ins , via MIDI cable, would work. So that can't be the problem.

Yankeezulu: Yep, I've definitely set up the Network correctly, because MOL is receiving the data.

It must be something to do with either GS3, Windows XP, or one of the RME MIDI drivers. That narrows it down a bit, doesn't it?!

Any more ideas guys?

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I have the same problem. Been there, done that. It's something else. MoL is receiving Midi, I can pass it to other apps. But I have Layla24, MOTU MidiExpress and MoL. I whle ago (2 months) it was all working fine, could select any version of the midi ons, and they all worked.

Then out of the blue (maybe latest update, but I don't think so) Giga would only recognize the Layla24...

Have had no luck with this to date...
    Cheers for the info thesoundsmith. Can you let me know if you find a solution?

Cool Re: Can't get MIDI into GS3 via MOL

I've solved it!

It turns out the ethernet IP address on my Apple Mac kept changing of its own accord. It's confusing as hell for me, since I thought the IP address on an ethernet card was supposed to be static/fixed. It seemed to happen every time I rebooted the PC.

I checked the IP address on the Mac with Network Utility and, noticing it had changed, amended the address within MOL on the PC side to the same address. I tested the MIDI first with MIDI-OX and then with GS3, and both could now receive the MIDI data! So, feeling extremely pleased with myself I had a little play. But then I had to figure out how to stop the address from changing. So I went to the System Preferences/Network settings control panel on my Mac and changed the 'Configure IPv4' menu to 'Using DHCP with manual address'. It was originally set to just DHCP. To tell you the truth, I've no idea what DHCP is, or what it's for. I'm not sure if the Configure IPv4 should just be set to the 'Manually' setting?

I've yet to find out if this will keep the IP address static. If anyone knows, maybe they could explain the DHCP/Network/IP thing in layman's terms. Have I now got this set up right for a straight MAC-PC network?

Anyway, the main thing is that it's working. Or, at least, it is for now...

I just typed you a real long response and then used my back key (duh!) and lost the whole thing. So I am going to really summarize and I will offer more help if you end up needing it.

Right click 'My Network Places', select 'Properties'. Select your interface and right click it and select Properties again. Select TCP/IP and select properties yet once again. You will see the 'General' tab. On that screen you will see two options: 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Use the following IP address'. Select the second option (use the following ......) and insert the parameters you want to use all the time. If you had the system working with one IP address at least once, use those parameters. If you don't know what to put in there, get it working again. Then go to the RUN menu and type CMD. From that screen type IPCONFIG /ALL. You will get all the information that you need to fill in the fields for a static IP address.

However, one caviat. If you are using this system to talk on the public internet, this solutioin will probably not work because ISP's have rules about how IP addresses are handled. If you need help with that, I"ll give you more info.

Another thing, if you are connected through a hardware router, the IP address assigned to each device on the router MAY (not guaranteed) change depending on which device is brought up first on the router. This is the case for some but not all routers.

Try some of this stuff and you can't get anywhere, let me know and I'll try to help you more.

If this info is not enough, tell me as much as you can about your configuration (routers, other devices on the network, OS you're using on the Windows PC, etc). That will help me to give better advice.

.......... Rob ..............

Wink Re: Can't get MIDI into GS3 via MOL

Thanks for your help Rob. I'm not sure if you read my last post (above yours) but I have it working ok now. Networking terminology and settings are confusing for me, although probably a piece of cake for other people.

If it all f*cks up again then there'll be a lot of head scratching and hair pulling on my part to get it working again. God only knows how you guys with multiple PC's handle it all.

I've just bought the full working version of MOL using the special GS3 discount. At the moment I'm very happy with my setup. Now, if only I could get my hands on one of those Quad G5's...

Go Back to forum