• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quick question about Windows installation trouble

Share/Bookmark

Quick question about Windows installation trouble

I'm trying to reinstall my system but I ran into trouble. After Windows XP setup has done the first phase in text mode and restarts it won't boot into the Windows part of the setup procedure but starts again in the first phase. I couldn't find help from Microsoft's site which doesn't surprise me that much.

Re: Quick question about Windows installation trouble

Check the boot order in BIOS.

Cheers,

ck

I tried that but it doesn't help. It says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"

Actually now that I try to change the boot order in BIOS it doesn't see the drive at all even if the Windows setup can see it. This is far from my first Windows installation but this crap still never seizes to amaze me.

Now I got it working. Windows won't install to my PATA system drive if I have any SATA drives connected. I have to disconnect them from power before the install. I had also disconnected another drive in the same PATA bus that has the system drive. Windows setup still sees the drive and starts to install to it but BIOS won't let it boot from it if the other drive doesn't have power. Mental note to myself: next time buy a Mac.

You need to hit F6 at the beginning of the install to install the SATA drivers - you'll see a prompt when you need to hit the F6 key. It will then prompt you to install a floppy with the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You need to hit F6 at the beginning of the install to install the SATA drivers - you'll see a prompt when you need to hit the F6 key. It will then prompt you to install a floppy with the driver.
    My PC doesn't have a floppy drive. I thought that applied only to installing the system to the SATA drive? Anyway it's easier to disable the SATA drives when installing and enabling them after Windows is set up.

Go Back to forum