• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: ASCENSION - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Share/Bookmark

ASCENSION - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

ASCENSION
    By David Sosnowski
    For Symphony Orchestra
    From South Mountain Sketchbook

www.DavidSosnowski.com - Fourth one down the page.

Still another of my little orchestral sketches...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: ASCENSION - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Great and evocative as usual, but...

...this time it seems to include a little fighting between very classical and tonal episodes or phrases, with other more modern and free element of language sometime creating a little of incoherence. The overall effect is anyway convincing, and the piece sounds powerful and expressive.

Re: ASCENSION - Symphony Orchestra (Sosnowski)

Beautiful and Natural. Excellent woodwind writing, and your characteristic Crotchet triplets, (in a more conventional phrasing). Although some of the passage work sounds classical (or should that be neo-classical ?), the harmony, and open sound is perfectly characteristic of your writing. Though your different pieces inhabit various stylistic worlds, your personality as a composer is revealed in all of them. There is a particularly fine attention to the details of ensemble exhibited here, reminiscent of Mahler's chamber textures in his big works, and that sense of space and openess that are the Sosnowski Hallmarks.
    Congratulations on another superb piece. I am glad to see, the house rebuilding has not diminished your GPO capabilities.
    regards

Superb work, David. I don't know if it was your intent but this piece, from the beginning, evokes feelings of New England. Joaz is right about the wind writing but I was struck by the strings. I'm on my second listen as write this and new details are emerging. This is one of those GPO pieces that is so well mixed that one is left to enjoy the music entirely. Well done.
    Bill
    Last edited by valhalx; 10-13-2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Nice etlux!

Loved your string section. I wnder how you make it sound so good? I use lush and short and sustain both. in voice 1 I use the short+sus and in voice 2 I use lush. To me it makes a nice full sound.

nice composition.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    ASCENSION
    By David Sosnowski
    For Symphony Orchestra
    From South Mountain Sketchbook

www.DavidSosnowski.com - Third down the page.

Still another of my little orchestral sketches...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

"Little orchestral sketches"? Seemed pretty well thought, to me! Would that we could all "sketch" like that...
    Beautiful opening, and a very controlled sense of building tension - it never runs away from you. In other words, the pacing is superb. The full forces in contrast with the brief solo passages keep it form being too heavy.
    I really liked the way the elegaic and frenetic were juxtaposed - really effective.
    Very, very well done!

Ron

David

This is another one of your finely and elegantly crafted pieces of music. I love the motivic development and interesting rhythmic variations. The overall sound you get from GPO here is remarkable. It's a pitty, though, that we don't have nice WW trills , but I'm sure we can hope for those in the Advanced version ....

Thanks for some lovely music.

Kind Regards

Louis Dekker

David:

Excellent writing and a breath of fresh air from the mountains of New England. Agree with Joaz that the WWs are outstanding. I also particularly liked the brass--very clear, penetrating, but not overly so. The strings are beautiful and make the composition very complete. I liked the short pedal points near the end. Gives the phrases good bottom.

All in all, a great piece and so well orchestrated and mixed using GPO.

Always a pleasure to hear your work, David.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wonderful….

It seems the moment I recognize a possible style influence, it changes.

Very diverse... A perfect blend of subtlety and force.

Fantastic work!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Great and evocative as usual, but... this time it seems to include a little fighting between very classical and tonal episodes or phrases, with other more modern and free element of language sometime creating a little of incoherence. The overall effect is anyway convincing, and the piece sounds powerful and expressive.
    Thank you, Fabio!

I was uncertain if this blatant juxtaposition would work so well... still, I am not so sure of it. In the end, I must leave it to what the ears of others judge, though!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast