• Register
  • Help

Topic: can anyone get GPO to work with MidiOverLan?

Share/Bookmark

can anyone get GPO to work with MidiOverLan?

(I posted another more specific question related to this but thought I'd ask again more generally as I'm desperate!)

Has anyone gotten MidiOverLan to work with GPO? I'm trying to use Overture 4 on my PC to control GPO on my Mac. I've gotten the two machines to "see" each other - the "MidiOver Lan MIDI Monitor" on both machines seems to indicate that everything is communicating fine. The problem is, I can't figure out how to let the PC know the location of the individual tracks of GPO on my Mac. I tried opening GPO Studio on my Mac but there didn't seem to be a way to specify/control the midi import channels for each GPO sound. I tried the standalone GPO and COULD specify that the midi import channel be MIDIOverLan, but it only worked for 1 sound and I couldn't open additional instances of GPO. I tried opening GPO in Logic and setting it up as I have before using multi-instruments, etc., but again I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to assign each GPO sound to the appropriate MidiOverLan source - it seemed to play only whatever track was highlighted in the arrange window regardless of any other settings.

Is there some way to get MidiOverLan to work using GPO on a Mac, controlled by another sequencer program on a PC? I feel very close to a solution (knock on wood) but can't for the life of me get myself over the hump. Thanks so much for any help!
    Sincerely,
    - robjohn

Re: can anyone get GPO to work with MidiOverLan?

bump (optimistically :-))...

Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but the short answer is a qualified yes...

I have two wintel machines, not a wintel and a mac, but it works quite well for me. Also, I use Sonar and Finale to drive GPO, although I did spend some time with the Overture4 demo as well.

With the advent of Sonar5 I have been able to move GPO back to the main DAW, so it'll take a little time to get it set up on the second machine again, but in the meantime this is how I remember it working on two PCs...

I used GPO studio on the second machine, and had to manually load instruments into the Kontakt instances. Once they were loaded:

In Finale I simply mapped staves to voices as if it were on the same machine, expcept that of course I targeted the MidiOverLan driver.

In Sonar it was a bit more convoluted, and I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but the basic idea was the same, one MidiOverLan pipe for each 16 channels, or two Kontakt players.

I won't be able to re-create this until Monday evening, but when I do I'll send you the exact recipe.

FWIW, I am thrilled to have GPO back on the main machine. Some things, like B4, FM-7, Pro-53, and GigaStudio just seem to lend themselves more easily to multiple machines. I hated having to bounce back and forth between machines when using GPO. Could be that I created more complex arrangements within GPO, could just be the nature of the program.

I am quite certain that I'll off-load other synths before resorting to off-loading GPO because it is just more convenient to have it local, especially with the integration now in Finale 2006.

I hope this helps, and I will get back to you with more details Monday night.

Bill

Thanks, Bill - I look forward to your follow-up post!
    Best -
    robjohn

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but the short answer is a qualified yes...

I have two wintel machines, not a wintel and a mac, but it works quite well for me. Also, I use Sonar and Finale to drive GPO, although I did spend some time with the Overture4 demo as well.

With the advent of Sonar5 I have been able to move GPO back to the main DAW, so it'll take a little time to get it set up on the second machine again, but in the meantime this is how I remember it working on two PCs...

I used GPO studio on the second machine, and had to manually load instruments into the Kontakt instances. Once they were loaded:

In Finale I simply mapped staves to voices as if it were on the same machine, expcept that of course I targeted the MidiOverLan driver.

In Sonar it was a bit more convoluted, and I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but the basic idea was the same, one MidiOverLan pipe for each 16 channels, or two Kontakt players.

I won't be able to re-create this until Monday evening, but when I do I'll send you the exact recipe.

FWIW, I am thrilled to have GPO back on the main machine. Some things, like B4, FM-7, Pro-53, and GigaStudio just seem to lend themselves more easily to multiple machines. I hated having to bounce back and forth between machines when using GPO. Could be that I created more complex arrangements within GPO, could just be the nature of the program.

I am quite certain that I'll off-load other synths before resorting to off-loading GPO because it is just more convenient to have it local, especially with the integration now in Finale 2006.

I hope this helps, and I will get back to you with more details Monday night.

Bill

robjohn,

I use MOL routinely, though in the opposite direction. I run DP on a Mac as my sequencer, then host GPO inside VStack on the PC. It is a very common, and stable, solution for multi-computer DAW work.

You should have no concerns about getting it to work properly for you.

Trond

Is VStack still around and is it available for the Mac? I couldn't find much about it on the web for some reason, but it seemed on paper like a plausibly useful way of housing several instances of GPO on my Mac which I could then conceivably access using MidiOverLan from Overture 4 on my PC..
    Best!
    - robjohn

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana
    robjohn,

I use MOL routinely, though in the opposite direction. I run DP on a Mac as my sequencer, then host GPO inside VStack on the PC. It is a very common, and stable, solution for multi-computer DAW work.

You should have no concerns about getting it to work properly for you.

Trond

It's available here for the Mac or PC.

http://www.steinberg.de/Category_sb4...=8&Langue_ID=2

Go Back to forum