• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Zen Micro

Share/Bookmark

Zen Micro

When my grandson was here this summer, he showed me a Zen Micro, and I dashed out and bought one. Now I can listen to all of my music on mp3, using a device smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I have only around 110 of my own compositions on it so far, plus the entire Well Tempered Clavier as recorded by me, and the Goldberg Variations as well.

The bonus is that I now have an additional place to store my scores and midi files. I have all my Sibelius files and all my Sonar files and the leftover SCORE files on this little gidget. This is in addition to my regular backup on a hard drive. Lots of room left over. I consider this one of the great uses of the Zen Micro, and I guess the same thing could be done with the iPod? Being a great proponent of redundancy of backup, I really recommend this use.

Re: Zen Micro

Thanks for posting about that; since the headphone jack on my PDA went wonky, I've been looking around for a digital media player. That one looks fantastic for the price.

The only disappointing thing is that it doesn't seem to support Ogg Vorbis media, so I'd have to reëncode everything.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Thanks for posting about that; since the headphone jack on my PDA went wonky, I've been looking around for a digital media player. That one looks fantastic for the price.

The only disappointing thing is that it doesn't seem to support Ogg Vorbis media, so I'd have to reëncode everything.
    Well, if you could send me a short selection in that format, or tell me where to download one, I would be willing to give it a try.

Richard

I read that Creative is abandoning the MP3 player market. Their CEO declared war on Apple a while back but I guess they ran out of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I read that Creative is abandoning the MP3 player market. Their CEO declared war on Apple a while back but I guess they ran out of ammo.
    Well, I just checked their web site, and found quite an array of impressive media players. I am tempted by one which has up to 60 gigabytes of storage, and can play the usual complement of mp3, wma, wav. But that would surely be overkill for me, as 5 gigabytes on my current Zen Micro is more than adequate.

Richard

I've never seen the Zen, but it sounds cool. I have a 60 gig ipod and I love it. Apple just came out with the new 60 gigers that play and store videos, TV shows, and movies. I'm kind jelous b/c I just bought my 60 giger but it doesn't play movies.
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

I would love a 60 gb iPod!

My GPO demos folder alone, from collecting them on the forum for over a year, total at about 3.5 gb! Whew! All my other music files total to around 9.5 gb, so I'd need at least a 20 gb, but I'd prefer 60, just because it's more space to fill up for the future

Those nano's are way too small!

This thread is bad for me, it makes me jealous . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

--
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb

I did not check the price, but I did notice that there was no mention of data storage, only media files. The data storage was a big factor in my choosing Zen Micro.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    The data storage was a big factor in my choosing Zen Micro.

Richard
    Have you learned whether the IPOD has data storage? I remember that you asked.

I gather that on the ZEN you can only commit part of the available storage for data. (Inconsistent, I would say, with the mamesake which promotes the notion of the the undifferentiated oneness of the ground of being!)

Ed

Go Back to forum