• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opinions about V-Guitar Distortion?

Share/Bookmark

Opinions about V-Guitar Distortion?

Hi,

Any thoughts on whether it is better to play, via keyboard, a clean gutair, and then distort through an amp simulator of some kind? After all, this would be a better approximation of how it's done in the real, hardware world.

Or are there some pre-distorted libraries that are truly killer, and thus worth it?

I'm thinking seriously about the group buy currently going on here, and the demos sound great, but they seem to be using clean samples with guitar rig.

And can anyone recommend a good ampsim for distorting a clean sample that's less pricey than guitar rig 2? I have both the Sonar 5PE and Adobe Audition effects tools, but a truly great distortion eludes me. But this could be, no doubt, an inability on my part to use these tools competently.

Thanks,

Re: Opinions about V-Guitar Distortion?

As a caveat, in the real world, the guitar signal is not first processed clean and then distorted. Therefore, processing a clean sound into another amp simulator for distortion is not equivilent to the real-world analog process.

The downside with the distortion libraries is that you're stuck with that distortion type, which might not be to one's liking.

Perhaps in the future there will be a process where you can customize the guitar tone to your liking and not depend on someone else's desires.

Wes

Simanalog Guitar Suite's (free) JCM 900 gets very good reviews for emulating Marshall distortion. Boogex (also free) also gets high marks.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Thanks for the tips, Jeffn1. I'm going to take a look.

Wes37, I don't quite understand your caveat. When you take an electric guitar out of the case, and strum it without applying effects, that's its clean sound, right? If you then use an amp that fuzzes or a pedal that wah-wahs or whatever, then the amp is processing the "clean" sound with the sonic effects, or "distorting" it, in the broadest sense of the word.

So, for example, the "clean e-guitar" sample in Kontakt 1.5- if I just pick E-A-D-G-B-E notes- it sounds (more or less) like a real guitar that hasn't been processed, and it seems that adding an ampsim could be similar to juicing up a real guitar with sonic embellishments found in a real tube amp.

But I don't know, maybe I'm missing the boat. Just asking.

Thanks,

I downloaded this thing called Free Amp SE a while ago and I put guitar samples through that. I mostly just use the k2 guitar library. It sounds great imo, but I'm not a guitar player.

I mainly use it for mangled bizarre guitar effects.

Ars

Yeah Wes, I'm confused about your statement as well. Could you elaborate?

I think that with today's great amp simulator plug-ins, releasing a distorted guitar sample library is self defeating. In the old days (Zimmer Guitars, Yellow Tools, etc) this was a necessity, nowadays I always choose to post-process the guitar sound through a cabinet simulator with some pretty amazing results.

I have also learned how to play a bit of guitar in the past few years which has helped tremendously in getting the sound I want when samples simply won't do.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Well, at the risk of mangling what Wes was saying, I could see some difference. When you get a clean sample library, my understanding is they are created by miccing an amp with no (or very little) distortion. These samples would then be fed into an amp sim to create a distorted guitar sound.

In contrast, a real electric guitar that is distorted follows a different signal path. The signal from the pickups goes directly into an amplifier which is overdriven to distort the sound. So, this is a somewhat different process.

I am already out of my element here, so I will just listen to what others have to say.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

My point is that a clean guitar sample is already processed through an amp, which is structurally different tonally from an unprocessed guitar signal. Once the signal is processed, even if clean, the harmonic structure is different from the unprocessed signal, thus if you run it through an amp simulator, it will not sound the same as the unprocessed signal going into the distorted signal chain. I believe most amp sims are designed to process an unprocessed signal, not an already processed one.

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    My point is that a clean guitar sample is already processed through an amp, which is structurally different tonally from an unprocessed guitar signal. Once the signal is processed, even if clean, the harmonic structure is different from the unprocessed signal, thus if you run it through an amp simulator, it will not sound the same as the unprocessed signal going into the distorted signal chain. I believe most amp sims are designed to process an unprocessed signal, not an already processed one.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

jeffn1

Wes,
    That makes it clearer, thanks. This would imply that we might want a virtual electric guitar that has been sampled in its completely unplugged state, and then an amp sim capable of processing it from there.

Is anyone even thinking about anything like that? A virtual emulation of the entire harmonic process? I think it'd be kind of cool if it's doable.

Go Back to forum