• Register
  • Help

Topic: King / can i pick your brian about your laptop?? really I am a bigger idot!

Share/Bookmark

King / can i pick your brian about your laptop?? really I am a bigger idot!

KingIdiot,
    I recall a post of yours where you mentioned that you are using a toshiba tecra laptop and that you did not need an external card to use giga.

In you spare time (you have none, I am sure) would you be kind enough to post you knowledge and experience on the laptop subject?

I am a mac guy who bought a pc just for giga. I need to take it mobile (hotel rooms and live).
    So really, I am an idiot on the PC.

thanks so much

ed

Re: King / can i pick your brian about your laptop?? really I am a bigger idot!

Hey ed,

I picked up a Toshiba 8200 PIII 850. I run Win 98SE on it, and found the vxd driver for the yamaha sound card (the internal audio board). You need to get the vxd driver for giga to work with it. Most of the laps ship with WDM drivers now. Also you need to make sure it uses the correct Yamaha sound chip. I found that when I bought my Lap, the Toshiba Sattelites had newer sound chips that did NOT have vxd drivers, which of course ment no giga out of the box.

Running Giga Alone it can get 160 note poly, on lighter arrangements from the internal drive even.

Big orchestral arrangements are a little different.

I haven\'t put it through a BIG test yet. I pickjed it up top do stuff on the road, but it seems that I\'m not leaving as much as I anticipated, so Its been mostly light audio editing/mixing on the road being done on this sucker...and of course the lazy day edits in bed

for on the road recording, I\'d look into something with a preamp. The Tascam USB interfaces have them I\'m pretty sure, as well as GSIF compatability.

since you\'re looking for it to be mobile, but only will be using it in places with power sources, you should look into a good powerful lap (doesn\'t have to be toshiba), with either firewire or USB 2.0 capability. This way you can use outboard harddrives, and outboard audio like the Tascam USB interface or the MotU interface...or the RME PMCIA setup.

These are more powerful than the internal sound card.

I only went this way for things like working on stuff at ANY given moment like a line for a movie...or when I take my girlfriend somewhere I dont want to go.... or a plane

you may also want to look into rackmount setups, they are probably more powerful than any laptop, and might be cheaper. A cheap LCD screen isn\'t much these days.

just a suggestion. I have two laps now a TiBook and this ToshLap, I love them both, but know fully well that they aren\'t \"needed\"...but man does it make developers/designers/publishers turn heads when I can pop out these two and hand them finished \"tweaks\" while they tell me what they want and we hack it out in their office... or better.. at lunch.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Ed,
    Hi. I don\'t do laptop stuff, but I do use a Firewire drive for my GSt sample drive. It works very well.

Again, I haven\'t tested the laptop side of this, but the drives are recognized by the Sony Vaio laptop, so that seems like a good start.

One other interesting piece of hardware out recently is the Creative Labs Extigy. I\'m wondering if it might provide a better final sound. You could have samples on Firewire and audio on USB? Interesting anyway.

Cheers,
    Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    This way you can use outboard harddrives, and outboard audio like the Tascam USB interface or the MotU interface...or the RME PMCIA setup.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

King,
    Thanks for the quick reply!!

My road setup is going to be a Tibook for Digital Performer/ PC laptop for Giga/ and my trusty Ibook for reaktor,B4,Kontakt, etc.

How cool are these toys!!

Thanks for the input.

ed

Hey all. Over the last year or so I have experimented with a Toshiba Tecra 8200 PIII 1Ghz laptop and the gigastudio software. My current setup is:
    the laptop.. of course, 512Mb RAM (max for the machine) Gigastudio 160 v2.5 on Win98SE. 75 gig IMB Firewire HD. Orange Mirco PCMCIA Firewire Card and the audio card is an RME mutliface breakout box with the PCMCIA card. This machine does 160 voices no problem with no clicks. The firewire drive is more than fast enough to hanle all the bandwith, and the RME card is great. I have used the MOTU 828 Firewire audio interface as well. It is also a great box but the RME was just smaller in size.

- Matt

Go Back to forum