• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bottom line, Why Kontakt 2?

Share/Bookmark

Bottom line, Why Kontakt 2?

Hi,

In my home DAW, everything runs in Sonar. I have Kontakt 1.5x as my primary tool for loading patches, converting file extensions etc., but except for occasional minor soft-sound tweaks, I've barely scratched the surface of its potential.

My question is: Is there really any compelling reason to spend the $149 to upgrade to K2? The main reason I've found so far is that new samples for Kontakt (such as Prominy) don't seem to be backward compatible, but if that's all, then it's a back-burner priority for me. But NI has some interesting looking free downloads for K2 owners, and I've heard some good things about the included sound library.

What do people think? Are the new features, interface, or sonic enhancements such that it makes the upgrade a no-brainer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Bottom line, Why Kontakt 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    What do people think? Are the new features, interface, or sonic enhancements such that it makes the upgrade a no-brainer?
    Yes. Not only is the scripting going to change things, but while it uses more RAM for each instance, you can load nearly DOUBLE the amount of samples than 1.5x (at least that's how it's been for me). Performance is greatly enhanced. Best $ I've spent all year.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

K2 with the included library has expanded creativity in ways unimaginable. It really rocks. I've never owned 1.5 so I can't compare. But with the mixing and routing capabilities and the included effects It really becomes an indespensible tool.

Ars

The included library and the purge feature are worth $150.00.

Thanks for responding, and confirming the reviews I read. I guess my DAW budget has already been spent now until around December. It's going to be JABB and the K2 upgrade....

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    The included library and the purge feature are worth $150.00.

Joseph - what is the 'purge' feature. Benefits?

Thanks

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Lightbulb Re: Bottom line, Why Kontakt 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Joseph - what is the 'purge' feature. Benefits? Rob
    It can figure out what samples were not used in a song and 'purge' those from memory, thereby freeing memory.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Go Back to forum