• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO used in film score

GPO used in film score

My name is Troy Sterling Nies, and I am a composer. I recently scored the film, "The Call of Cthulhu" by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society. It is a "silent-film" adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's short story. the film was made to resemble 1920-30's silent-film style. In scoring the film, I almost exclusively used GPO. I thought the forum may be interested to hear GPO in action. DVD's and soundtracks are available here.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them here, and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

best regards,
    Troy Sterling Nies

Orcas Island

Re: GPO used in film score

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the film doing so well! I see that it won a few awards at the Lovecraft Film Festival recently (it must have been the music ).

I enjoyed listening to your music. 'Neither Dead and Dreaming' was one of my favorites. I like the suspense and what you did with the timpani and strings. You certainly did capture the feel of a 20-30's pit orchestra.

Thanks for posting the news. Great to see GPO used in such a fabulous project.

Gary Garritan

Smile Re: GPO used in film score

I'm pretty impressed with this music. It has that big "sweeping" type of melodic sound that you associate with the big screen.
    I also felt that the sound you have achieved with GPO, is very rich when it comes to the actual performance and the ambience.
    It would be interesting to know what sequencer you mixed the sounds in, and also the ambience used.
    I felt that the dynamics and all things related to a musical performance are of a really high standard in this score.
    Congrats. on a job really well done here.

Mr. Garritan, Mr. Martin,

Thank you so much for your kind words. To answer your questions:

I used GPO almost exclusively in the 40 minutes or so of music I wrote for this film. The only other elements I used other than GPO were some patches on my old Kurzweil K2000R - and some sound effect/sound-design/ambience type sounds which I created myself for the actual "Call" in "The Call of Cthulhu".

Software other than GPO - I use Sonar Pro 4 as my main sequencer and I used Acid Pro several times during the end stages of editing. In case you were wondering (since I mentioned Acid), there were NO 'loops' used in this score - it is all original work - Acid is just a wonderfully simple cut/paste slide-around type of software, it helped me in the "crunch time" when the director/producer wanted some changes.

The ambience used was the GPO Ballroom 1. I used all 'dry' intrsuments with this setting. The reason for this was that they told me they were going to make the soundtrack 'mythophonic', that is, to make it sound like period music of the time being played on old equipment - the result was a scratchy, tinny, hollow sound you would expect of the phonographs of the time. When you watch the DVD, you have the option of hearing it this way or clean. "Clean' is not exactly clean, as they did alter the soundtrack with their own ambiences/reverbs etc. - I did not participate in this part of the prcoess, so I am not aware what eq's/reverbs etc. they may have used.

If there are any more questions, I would be happy to answer. Again, thank you for your kind words and taking the time to listen. I really appreciate it. And thank you Mr. Garritan for creating such powerful software!

best regards,
    Troy Sterling Nies

Congratulations on the success of the film! I too enjoyed listening to the samples. They sound great, especially the strings! Also, the orchestration in general is just awesome. It's cool to see GPO used in projects like these. I commend you for your work!

Thanks for taking the time to log on to the forum and share your talents with us.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

First of all, welcome to the forum. I think that you will find here a great resource of information, comradery, and inspiration. Please feel free to ask anyone for help. There are some extremely knowledgable people on this forum. (I'm obviously NOT one of them, seeing how I can't type or spell today!)

Excellent Job!!! I throughly enjoyed your two cues. You've achieved a very rich old world sound. Very nice. What instrumentation did you use? Did you use Ensemble Building. I'm probably going to order at least the Soundtrack.

I'm glad to see other people using GPO in film scores. I've done two, with two more in the works. They are available on my website: www.jonnylostinc.com.

Here are the individual links:

Broken Oath (Starring Owen Miller)

http://www.jonnylostinc.com/Broken%20Oath.wmv - This is the actual film.

The Psychic (Starring Margot Kidder, Tom Savini and Alicia Groanson)

The Psychic Suite 1 - http://www.jonnylostinc.com/The%20Ps...0Suite%201.mp3
    The Psychic Suite 2 - http://www.jonnylostinc.com/The%20Ps...0Suite%202.mp3

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I just thought you might like to hear what other people have done. Maybe I should have sent these through PM. Oh well.

Keep up the excellent work and once again welcome to the forum. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

West Seneca, NY

Nice, nice work and very interesting.

Thank you, all of you for the warm welcome. I've actually been "lurking" the forum for some time. I've found the insight, tips and general knowledge of the software shared on Mr. Garritan's software here outstanding. I look forward to continued visits here to share knowledge, events and the general camadarie!

best regards,
    Troy Sterling Nies

Hi Troy,

thanks again for posting your music.
    Thanks also for the information. Sonar 4. Yes, I was thinking of getting that once....maybe I'll look into it more.
    Again, it is a great score, and your really top musicianship comes through in your performance of it.

I hope we get to hear some more of your material.

Steve M

Hi Troy.

Great music. I noticed the web site said "The music is performed by the seldom-recorded Arkham Philharmonic Orchestra."

Did you do the mockups with GPO and the final recordings were life orchestra?

Go Back to forum