Topic: HELP! Memory Recognition Problem

Share/Bookmark

HELP! Memory Recognition Problem

Ok, so I can\'t figure this out.

Win98SE...cache settings are set optimally

INTEL 850 GB Mobo
    I have 4 sticks of 256 800 RAMBUS Corsair
    I just replaced 2 sticks with 512 800 RAMBUS Corsair

Check out BIOS (up todate) and it is recognized.

When I boot windows it says no enuf memory to load windows and i should remove stuff from cnfig sys and auto exec...and remove any TSR...well I dont have anything running and no config autoexec\'s!

I installed in pairs

I tried flipping the pairs around so i have 2x256 in bank 0 and 2x512 in bank 1 - paired ala spec...

Nada

I reinstalled the two sticks of 256 back to 1gb and it works fine

Is there something I am missing from windoze in teh reg or system.ini so it can be regonized?

Re: HELP! Memory Recognition Problem

composer22,
    I think this is a known problem for Win 9X.

From M$:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q253912

It sounds similar anyway.

That said, I run 768MB on Win ME, which should fail according to this, but it\'s fine.

Good luck,
    Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Knecht (edited 04-10-2002).]

Nope this isnt it

[vcache]
    MaxFileCache=16384
    MinFileCache=16384

perfect

I think it is related to this: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q184447

and
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q181862
    Well, this appears to be the problem. I have been duped. Original Win98SE spec says I can read up to 2GB - its a F*** lie.

Backup plan - will XP do it for me folks? is it worth moving here for Giga?

[This message has been edited by composer22 (edited 04-11-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by composer22:
    Nope this isnt it

[vcache]
    MaxFileCache=16384
    MinFileCache=16384

perfect

I think it is related to this: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q184447

and
    Well, this appears to be the problem. I have been duped. Original Win98SE spec says I can read up to 2GB - its a F*** lie.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Composer

I have recently had problems with upgrading my system and using Win98SE.

After almost a week of hair-pulling, I decided to take the plunge and upgraded to WindowsXP. I have only had it a couple of days and from what I can see so far, I am really pleased.

I would say, GO FOR IT!

Hi,
    Well, which ever of these M$ support pages is right, it\'s pretty clear that 98SE has some real problems with what we\'d call larger memory footprints.

I haven\'t personally used 1.5GB under XP, so I can\'t promise anything, but my guess is that you\'ll be better off.

XP is a bit slower than 98SE, but you appear to be running a reasonably fast P4, so I would guess you\'re not going to be disappointed.

Regards,
    Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by composer22:
    Nope this isnt it

[vcache]
    MaxFileCache=16384
    MinFileCache=16384

perfect

and

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but my main concern is what is it gonna do to my lubly GigaRig setup when I move there...And all the drivers that I have carefully installed for MIDI and Audio.

Can I get by with the home xp version, or do I need PRO?

It also kills off 128 mb of memory?

I have been using Win XP Pro for the past few months now. I have not had any more problems with GigaStudio in XP than Win 98. Only problem is that GigaStudio takes longer to load and some of the samples take longer to load. When crashes do occur I can kill GigaStudio in Task Manager and then reload Giga without having to reboot. I am running a couple beta versions of a few drivers and actually expected more problems.

I have been able to load all performances that I used in Win 98 without problems. Most seem to take up the same amount of memory. I run my system clean with only music apps installed and unnessary devices disabled like my NIC, USB, etc. The performance settings under the Advanced tab in the System Properties is set for \"Adjust for Best Performance\". This makes the system run much faster and gets rid of the \'eye candy\' which also uses up more memory.

BTW, internet performance when I activate my NIC card is much better in XP than 98. We run systems in my lab at work with 2 GB of memory with no problems and no tweaks necessary to use the memory.

[This message has been edited by Haydn (edited 04-11-2002).]

One other problem to consider is that many motherboards out there have problems when you use multiple sticks of memory. Moving sticks to different slots helps as certain combinations work where other combinations produce memory error using the exact same memory sticks. As this seems to be a universal problem check with a forum that deals with your specific motherboard or motherboard maker to see what is posted for working combinations to use. You may also consider going with fewer memory sticks with a larger capacity. Lastly you may just have a bad stick of memory or are using too aggresive a memory timing in the Bios. Looks like you have to get your hands dirty on this one by doing some research, then test - test- test. Good luck with the \"adventure\".

Haydn; Thanks for the feedback

Doc: Im using an INTEL 850 GB + P4 with latest Cert BIOS. I have bank flipped stuff around. The memory is good. Win98SE has a 1 gig ceiling.

Im moving to XP this weekend...probably. And i dont have a DSL connection...only a modem...wish me luck

XP has its own share of problems too, you may consider 2000 instead. Users of XP are reporting use of more system resources than running the same thing in 98 or 2000, and SCSI hard drive users have a big bug with XP slowing them down (check out the forums at storagereview.com for that). One of these years this stuff will all play nice together lol.

Go Back to forum