• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New Powermacs can support up to 16 Gigs of RAM!

Share/Bookmark

New Powermacs can support up to 16 Gigs of RAM!

and a Terabyte of internal storage, this should make driving huge sample libraries from 1 machine much more doable!

The Dual Core G5 chips should be able to handle even more plugins and reverbs.

This is tempting....to get the new G5 or to wait for the Intel transition....hmmm?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: New Powermacs can support up to 16 Gigs of RAM!

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    and a Terabyte of internal storage, this should make driving huge sample libraries from 1 machine much more doable!

The Dual Core G5 chips should be able to handle even more plugins and reverbs.

This is tempting....to get the new G5 or to wait for the Intel transition....hmmm?
    Hang on a second Kays. Does this mean the software can support 16 gigs of ram - ie Logic 7. Plugins and reverbs I understand - but what about EXS24 in Logic? Any news on that?

No news on that, but can Logic, Kontakt, and Stylus (for example) be each assigned say 3 gigs of RAM?

There is a lot of confusion regarding how memory is administered within OS X and even within Logic. If Apple is being this aggressive with supporting large amounts of RAM, it would make sense that they make their applications take advantage of the larger amounts.

The "Quad" G5 looks like it will be a processing beast, the price is...well...pricey, but the specs look impressive for power users who are looking to squeeze as many plugins out of the same machine as possible.
    >>Kays

On a related note, this clearly shows that the move to Intel is primarily driven by laptop needs (the powerbooks saw essentially no speed bump and they have likely reached the peak that the processor will deliver) while IBM G5 chips seem to be still competitively fast and innovative for the towers. I wouldn't be surprised if when the Intel towers are released, they are not necessarily much faster than the Dual Core G5's.
    >>Kays

There's no evidence that the amount of memory a single program can access has changed. You can access "up to" 4GB of RAM per program on a G5 with 8GB installed. As I've posted many times, I can load 2.75GB into Logic on my 5GB machine reliably; much more than that and it becomes unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    As I've posted many times, I can load 2.75GB into Logic on my 5GB machine reliably; much more than that and it becomes unstable.
    Do you need 5 GBs to load 2.75 GBs of samples or is 3.5 or 4 GBs enough?

Any idea how much Kontakt 1 or Kontakt 2 can access under Cubase SX3 in OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    The "Quad" G5 looks like it will be a processing beast, the price is...well...pricey, but the specs look impressive for power users who are looking to squeeze as many plugins out of the same machine as possible.
    For more plugins without taxing the CPU - maybe Receptor might make better financial sense at this time. Dunno.

Or how about using Freeze Tracks? I'm still very happy with my Dual 1.8Ghz G5, but these do look like very capable machines.

For more plugins without taxing the CPU - maybe Receptor might make better financial sense at this time. Dunno.
    Those that know me know that I dislike the concept of more gizmos and gadgets. I think that the workstation of the future is monolithic, no more computers in the closet and racks of gear but a simple computer keyboard and mouse (and input device like a MIDI controller). I think that if I could go about 10 years into the future, computers would not be be bigger than a Mac Mini (yet several hundred times more powerful) and LCD screens will have been replaced by multi-function glasses.
    >>Kays

I think it is an excellent idea to get one of the 'last generation' of G5s. Especially for Cubase and DP users. New processor, new OS, Apple is historically slow divulging the details of the OS that third-party developers need (I believe the plan is to let them release a faulty version of an app, because they didn't get all the info they needed on time, sohthey look bad and Logic looks good - that would be typical Jobs business practices.)

So get a big G5 and wait for rev 2 of the Apple Intel boxes, and at least the second update for that platform for ALL your software...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum