• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Editing Audio On Linux

Share/Bookmark

Editing Audio On Linux

For the Linux enthusiast, here a guide to some powerful, open-source audio editing apps for Linux. There are some outstanding audio tools for Linux such as Ardour, Audacity, and SND. The author talks a bit about why Linux is a excellent platform for this kind of work. http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/linux-audio.ars

Linux does seem to be making some inroads in pro audio. There seems to be a lot happening in the Linux audio world including the Linux Sampler project which Benno has posted about.

Re: Editing Audio On Linux

Thank you for the info!

I am always interested in Linux. Right now only Sibelius 3, Cubase, the Kontakt stuff like GPO and some games are keeping me here in Windows XP. It would feel , being able to ditch all that stuff and move on to Linux.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

I have been expectant of what happens in the Linux world for years. I think it's a very good and secure OS, (not as secure as OpenBSD) but the thing wich I like most about it is that it's open source. Windows XP it's not a bad OS (every OS has bugs, and we must have in mind that Windows is used by much more people than MacOS and Linux, so more bugs are found, and due to Bill Gate's commercial policies, Windows is in the sight of every hacker).

Some people are developing a clone of a Windows NT based OS (NT4/2000/XP/2003), but it's in its early stage. The benefits will be that, as it's a Windows clone (but with different source code), it will work with existent windows drivers, but will be open source, and people will be able to modify, sustomize and improve the program.

I think Linux won't be ready for us until hardware manufacturers get involved in developing Linux drivers (only a few of them do it). For example, I have an EMU 1820M soundcard, wich doesn't work in Linux; not only the advanced features, but also the sound playback.

The Wine project is working to bring windows software compatibility to Linux, but it's only a compatibility layer, and does not accept Windows based drivers ... But they have something like a SDK to port Windows apps to Linux easily, i think.

We'll have to wait a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    For the Linux enthusiast, here a guide to some powerful, open-source audio editing apps for Linux. There are some outstanding audio tools for Linux such as Ardour, Audacity, and SND. The author talks a bit about why Linux is a excellent platform for this kind of work. http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/linux-audio.ars

Linux does seem to be making some inroads in pro audio. There seems to be a lot happening in the Linux audio world including the Linux Sampler project which Benno has posted about.
    What an important post. Thank you Gary. I had been meaning to contact you to ask if you had plans to make GPO accesible to Linux users. Please allow me to try to persuade you.

I, too, am just waiting for the right moment to move over totally to Linux. I have a great interest in the rapidly developing Linux distro 'Linspire'. This is a direct challenge to Microsoft and Linspire is specifically designed and developed with the ease of 'Windows'.

Linspire does not require the techinal prowress traditionally associated with installing and using Linux. Ease of install and use is its mission. It takes under 10 minutes to install and presents a familiar environment so users feel 'at home' straight away. Installing software is so easy. Linspire has a 'Click-n-Run' Warehouse with around two thousand applications. To install just choose your software and click and it all installs and is ready to use in minutes. Most software is free although there are some titles to purchase. A particularly interesting development is 'Win4Lin'. This application will run 'Windows' software within the Linux environment and is really intended for any application we might use that is not presently available for Linux. Naturally, where 'native' Linux software exists, this would be better. Linspire is a 'Debian' distro of Linux.

Another feature of Linspire are their forums. The community is very friendly and very helpful with many incredibly knowledgeable people who are eager to help, just like our own GPO community here. Why not call in and take a look http://forum.linspire.com

An interesting feature of Linspire is their 'Linspire CD'. This is a trial of this operating system and works entirely from the CD. Just pop the CD in your drive and experience Linspire. I repeat that this is a trial version and is not the full OS. No install needed, no modification of your system, it all functions from the CD. This is free.

Without upsetting our Mac users, I have read that Linux now has a higher user base than Mac although I don't know how true this is. Belgium has abandoned Microsoft for its education system and now Oregon has adopted Linux with high input from linspire. The UK government is also interested. I feel that it would be in the interests of software developers to seriously think about porting for Linux; if they are not already doing this.

For further information please visit www.linspire.com

Sooooo .. any hopes for a Linux GPO? Thanks Gary.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

GPO already works on Linux!

Muse Receptor is based on Linux, and uses the Wine API to run VST dll's on that OS. I think it was in the KVR forum where I readed a post of a Muse Research developer saying it's not hard to make VST work on Linux. But, again, the problem (at least from my point of view) is the lack of drivers. If you are into Linux audio, you should look at RME's products, which have good support in ALSA project.

I would love to use ONLY Linux, or any OS which is not related with Microsoft or any company with similar behaviors, but I am trapped in Microsoft's world. I use Mozilla Firefox /Thunderbird,nVu, GIMP, Blender (first steps), MySQL, PHP, Apache... and more, but won't switch definitively to Linux until I can use my VST's as I do in Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    GPO already works on Linux!
    Err .. ooops. Munificent .. wonderful
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Sorry...

Maybe I have explained wrong.

It's true that Muse Receptor (a piece of rackmount hardware which runs VST's) is Linux based, but it has a Linux Kernel, and a self-made app which supports MIDI, VST...

Have a look at http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/

and http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/

I am possitive, and think this is going to change quickly. Linux based DAW's forever !!!!

Sorry, I posted the same link twice.

The second was http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/archiv...4-04/42640.php

A must read for everyone interested in VST on Linux:

http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/vst-plugins/

From http://www.linuxsampler.org/about.html

"LinuxSampler is a work in progress. The goal is to produce a free, open source pure software audio sampler with professional grade features, comparable to both hardware and commercial Windows/Mac software samplers and to introduce new features not yet available by any other sampler in the world.

LinuxSampler was designed as a sampler backend, decoupled from any user interface. It provides a network interface using an ASCII based protocol called LSCP for controlling the sampler and managing sampler sessions. But don't be afraid, with QSampler we already have a convenient GUI frontend (based on the cross-platform GUI library Qt) for LinuxSampler and due to the decoupled design you can even control the sampler with the GUI frontend from another computer, probably even running another OS like Windows or OS X. Beside our own custom network control layer we planned to add existing ones as well (e.g. OSC). With the planned SMP and cluster support LinuxSampler might become a very interesting tool for high-end studios and concerts in future.

It is planned to support all common sampler formats in LinuxSampler, but at the moment we chose to concentrate on the Gigasampler format, because we think it's currently the best sampler format in regards of quality and power, especially for the synthesis of natural instruments like pianos, brass and bowed instruments. But we already made good advance in implementing this format, so we are optimistic to start with adding other formats soon. Beside that we also planned to design our own, sophisticated sampler format to introduce a more powerful and more flexible sampler format compared to any sampler format currently available in the world. Be encouraged to share your ideas about such a new format with us!"

Go Back to forum