• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bugs in Pitch bend range for Finale Edition GPO

Share/Bookmark

Bugs in Pitch bend range for Finale Edition GPO

Recently bought GPO and love it, etc. It does what it's supposed to do, but I'm into alternative tuning, so I have been pushing the envelope a bit and made some experiments.

I find the pitch-bend range inconsistent in some of the instruments in the Finale Edition of GPO. (I haven't yet tested the "Notation Edition" full version, which I also purchased.)

Most instrument pitch-bend ranges in the Finale Edition are set as documented to 2 semitones up/down, which is great. That's the MIDI spec standard starting position, and the range most used by MIDI relay systems that do real-time re-tuning via pitch-bend. Some of the GPO Finale Edition instruments, however, have different settings. I'd consider these "bugs".

All of the Trombone instruments (Tenor and Bass included) go up/down an augmented 4th.

All of these instruments go up/down one semitone:
    Bass Flute plr 1, 2, 3
    Flute plr 1, 2, 3
    English Horn 1 plr 1, 2, 3
    Bass Clarinet plr 1, 2, 3
    B-flat Clarinet plr 1, 2, 3
    Bassoon 1 plr 1, 2, 3

Is there any bug-fix patch in the works that might address this inconsistency?

I've asked before about microtonal support in GPO, and that seems like a dead-end. But solving these inconsistencies would help some of us who are experimenting with use of GPO for this work. You see, most of GPO actually is very usable with alternative tunings with some of the MIDI-relay mechanisms that this community uses (e.g., Scala). It's not just useful for avant garde tunings, but historical tunings such as meantone, etc.

Re: Bugs in Pitch bend range for Finale Edition GPO

Quote Originally Posted by RickMcGowan
    I find the pitch-bend range inconsistent in some of the instruments in the Finale Edition of GPO. (I haven't yet tested the "Notation Edition" full version, which I also purchased.)
    The "Notation" folder in the full upgrade of the library IS the Finale version. The standard folders are identical to the standard version of GPO and intended primarily for use in sequencers. The Notation folder has the changes to programming consistent with the Finale requirements (+/-12 semitones pitchbend, cc68 legato, all keyswitches in the bottom octave.) By the way, keep the Finale lite edition, which comes with F2006, on your computer when you install the upgrade because it contains some instruments and features (mainly in the solo strings) that the notation folder does not yet contain. There are a few inconsistencies that have been reported for the Notation folder which will be addressed in the next update (no arrival date at this time.)

The standard folder pitchbend range is adjusted for best performance with each instrument type. This gets the most mileage, for sequencer use, out of the static settings in the Kontakt player. We hope this parameter will one day be adjustable by the user.

On the subject of microtunings, if you have the full version of Kontakt 1.5 it is possible to load the instruments, make changes to the pitchbend range and save the changes. This is the best approach for users with special needs like microtuning. There are also some specific microtuning features in Kontakt that could conceivably be applied to custom instruments. You might wish to explore that.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The "Notation" folder in the full upgrade of the library IS the Finale version.
    Thanks very much for the reply. Let me rephrase, when I said "Finale Version" I meant the stuff that comes with Finale 2006 -- the built-in stuff. Sorry. I'm aware that the stuff in the "Notation" folder is the "full" version. It contains a bunch more instruments, etc.

The standard folder pitchbend range is adjusted for best performance with each instrument type. This gets the most mileage, for sequencer use, out of the static settings in the Kontakt player. We hope this parameter will one day be adjustable by the user.
    Me, too, because of the inconsistency. Thanks for the info on the reasoning... but it's still inconsistent. And the inconsistency means that one can't use the instruments "uniformly".

On the subject of microtunings, if you have the full version of Kontakt 1.5
    I don't have the full version of Kontakt, and I'm not really a fan of NI (especially their pricing strategy). From what I've heard, it may not be so easy to program Kontakt for microtuning anyway; people in the microtuning community don't seem to use it. There are easier synths for that, like Rhino, VAZ and others.

In any case, I really like the simplicity of having the built-in Kontakt player with GPO available directly in Finale, without having to go external. It works great! It is soooo much nicer than the previous generations of Finale! Thanks a million to you guys at Garritan. Practically as soon as I heard Finale 2006, I ran out & bought the Full version of GPO. Also: the pricing of GPO is AOK. I'm looking forward someday to another version and/or expanded instrument set.

Another question while I'm here... Is it the case that in the "Notation" folder *ALL* of the instruments that support pitch bend uniformly use 12 semitones pitch bend?

Is it the case that in the "Notation" folder *ALL* of the instruments that support pitch bend uniformly use 12 semitones pitch bend?
    All instruments in the Finale Lite version were *supposed* to be consistently +/-12 semitones. Also true of the Notation folder. Any inconsistencies in either will be corrected in the next update.

Tom

Smile Re: Bugs in Pitch bend range for Finale Edition GPO

All instruments in the Finale Lite version were *supposed* to be consistently +/-12 semitones. Also true of the Notation folder. Any inconsistencies in either will be corrected in the next update.
    Oh... Egads. Does that mean you're going to change all of the +/- 2 semitone instruments now to be +/- 12 in the future? So, if I get the future Finale update and the future GPO update all would be +/- 12? And none would be +/- 2 anymore?

I hope not, because that would be less desirable for my purposes. I.e., +/- 2 semitones is most desirable for microtuning via relay - that's what all the relay apps support. The best possible outcome of course would be to allow the user to to change the pitch-bend range in the Kontakt player or GPO -- even if that meant diddling some value in the init (text) files somewhere... Even if there were only 2 choices of what to do (+/-2 and +/- 12). Everyone happy.

Thanks for listening. Oh, speaking of listening, btw, a brief example of GPO retuned...

As written, Carlos' harmonic scale on "D":

http://rm-and-jo.laughingsquid.org/t...-playedInD.mp3

And here is the same music, again harmonic scale, in a tuning
    rooted on "C":

http://rm-and-jo.laughingsquid.org/t...-playedInC.mp3

(This just proves that the thing really is being re-tuned. The piano-like sound is another synth; the main instrumentation is GPO: flute, oboe, clar, bassoon, str quartet. Retuned on the fly by routing Finale's MIDI output to Fractal Tune Smithy and hence to GPO Studio.)

Cheers.

Oh... Egads. Does that mean you're going to change all of the +/- 2 semitone instruments now to be +/- 12 in the future? So, if I get the future Finale update and the future GPO update all would be +/- 12? And none would be +/- 2 anymore?

I hope not, because that would be less desirable for my purposes. I.e., +/- 2 semitones is most desirable for microtuning via relay - that's what all the relay apps support. The best possible outcome of course would be to allow the user to to change the pitch-bend range in the Kontakt player or GPO -- even if that meant diddling some value in the init (text) files somewhere... Even if there were only 2 choices of what to do (+/-2 and +/- 12). Everyone happy.
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this but I took a week off just when you posted this response. So, the answer is . . .

That's exactly what it means: +/-12 semitones on all instruments. That is not my decision, it is Finale's decision. That's specifically what they have requested for use with Human Playback. That's what I intended to give them from the git-go but in the rush . . . Anyway, when the next update arrives that's what will happen.

Unfortunately, the present NI player does not allow user access to the pitchbend range values. I cannot program instruments to give the user this control. Nor can the range be set using default text values. If it were up to me I'd give you complete control over this area but alas, it's not up to me.

The only option that gives the user control over pitchbend range is editing in the full version of Kontakt. Maybe this will change at some point in the future.

Tom

Go Back to forum