• Register
  • Help

Topic: interfacing Rolands XP30 with GS

Share/Bookmark

interfacing Rolands XP30 with GS

Best way to use the XP30 keyboard/synth with my Win98se PC (Intel CC880 mb) and GS96 ?

A - Roland\'s Direct Serial ?
    B - Good old joystick port on my Terratec EWX2496 with Midi in/out cables ?
    C - And Ive got two free USB ports !?

My needs are SIMPLE! Just the keyboard/synth and my PC constitute my \"studio\" for sequencing-recording classical music. No racks of modules and no live performing issues. Latency is the issue of course, including good timing between synth sounds and gig instruments as tracks in one piece of music. And then I hope to be able to use the Sound Diver software for the XP.

Thanks for any suggestions, LifeForce

Re: interfacing Rolands XP30 with GS

B would be the cheapest and easiest solution. What do you plan on using for your sequencer? BTW, I use a Roland XP-30 as my master keyboard plugged into the MOTU Micro Express MIDI interface.

Hello Haydn - Thanks for your comments. I\'ve read good things about the XP30 for classical recording-sequencing purposes. Right now I simply use PowerTracks 7 to sequence and basically love it. Nothing bugs me more than a software interface that looks like the cockpit of the Starship Enterprise when I\'m trying to write some music. I get 960 ppq res, 48 tracks of audio and unlimited midi, I can merge tracks, convert to wav and PowerTracks is so simple! What am I missing that the more high end sequencers can do?

Next I hope to export to Sibelius to polish up notation. Just bought it. Or I may try working things the other way around - composing in Sibelius and then working on expression with PowerTracks. We\'ll see. (I suppose this is one thing that the more expensive sequencers could do internally - sequencing and good notation.) But I haven\'t gotten that far yet. Just having GS running smoothly has been a small miracle for me - since I\'m really a pretty low-tech music type.

Can you give me your thought on one other tech point? I can convert to wav in my sequencer or, of course, I can do it in GS. When I\'ve completed something and am getting it polished for burning to CD - at which level would it be better to do this ? In the sequencer software or with GS ? (I\'ve done quite a bit of synth sequencing but I am still quite new to GS, soft samplers in general, and digital audio.)

I do get confused by all the redundant functions on this new level! GS has a mixer, my sequencer has a mixer, Sibelius has a mixer, my sound card has a mixer. I think I\'ll run out and buy a hardware mixer this afternoon. One just can\'t have too many mixers!

Good music to you and thanks for any further suggestions, LifeForce

I use GigaStudio as basically a sampler. I record all audio tracks in Sonar. Then mixdown the audio tracks. I then export the mixdown track to Sound Forge for final editing.

Lifeforce

I am also currently set up and use Roland Xp30 Orchestral quite a bit with Giga. I have a very successfull set up also running my XP through just a joystick port no probs!
    I also have a MOTU midi port fits into serial and have not had probs either, but then had to buy a switchbox A/B cause I have a printer connected to my DAW for sheetmusic printout. Talk MIDI through Xp30. Nice thing about my synth is all performances I can program and save, therefore assigning each Orchestral project as a performance with channels in XP all set. All I have to do is load in Gigasamples and XP30 is already set up for project.

So I would agree option B is best way to go.

Keep cool dude!
    Raven

Thanks Haydn and Raven! I started replying to my own posts the other day and decided that this was getting a little scary.

Okay - converting to wav in ones sequencer seems to work fine. I\'ll try that. So you just skip this at the GS level, Haydn. Well, Haydn taught Mozart and Beethoven so it must be the best way!

Raven, I am encouraged by this good news about the XP30. And I\'m not just going on your word either (nor am I doubting it). Seems to be the one synth that has decent classical instrument synth sounds AND (what I really like) no \"internal sequencer\" to have to try and BYPASS to get MIDI to one\'s computer. The only thing that causes me any remaining doubts is the useless nature of most Roland manuals! Arghhhh! Ive been there and done that. Is it easy to get to this performance mode and start MIDI-ing (a new verb I just invented) right to your computer?

Thanks for these comments gents, LifeForce

Lifeforce

The best way to learn is through trial and error. The manuals are not the friendliest when it comes to explain Synthesis etc. But setting up a performance, assigning channels and saving it is as very user friendly on the XP30. I like it because on the XP30 there is like a grid- type button for each instrument part. So you just hit the let say part 2 button in Performance mode and toggle with the Patches till you get the Instrument you need. Set the keyboards range let say for Violins on this patch you selected, Set your Midi Channel let say Channel 2 and Save your new settings. Whala!
    Now all you have to do is remember the name of your Performance let say Lifeforce- Orchestral section, and all the settings will be there including patches the way you saved it. It is really easy, and I like the buttons, because it just gives me assurance on which patch I am working on!

Thats pretty much it. My favorite is the arpeggiators built into this unit. Very high end!

(you caught me on one of my better days)

Stay Cool

Raven

lifeforce,

I too have a XP -30 very nice keyboard too, i connect it to my midiman midi device (USB) and it works great in any application...i use sonar at the moment but i might change over if the new cubase works as well as it looks...I will always use gigastudio though, its the best sampler ive used..

Cubase sx will save quite a lot of program switching as all the audio and video can all be mixed in the same program...then exported as a finished project or written to a cd....i know this is true to a lot of sequencing programs but none of them seem to do the job properly.

I end up having to write all the music in sonar
    export it as a standard windows wav file...Then open soundforge and sync it to video in there.

it does me head in [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bright looking future.

Good luck with your sequencing

Go Back to forum