• Register
  • Help

Topic: Not another speaker/monitor question…..

Not another speaker/monitor question…..

I know this topic comes up fairly often and I've read past posts, but I was hoping to get some tailored advice.

I have a small (very small ) personal music recording system, about 5 synths, midi interface, 3.4GHz system w Delta44 card/Cubase, Mackie 8 channel mixer, and a power amp (Samson 170). I do all my work listening through higher end Sony headphones. (everything sounds very flat)

So far so good…

But when I listen through my external Amp/ speakers (cheap JBL control 1X), everything sounds horrible. Way too much base and all washed out. I know these JBL's aren't suitable for this application which would explain the poor quality.

My question is: should I purchase near field monitors and connect to the Samson Amp, or buy Active monitors and completely bypass the Amp altogether.

I only have about $500- 600 to spend on a pair of monitors ( ..not much I know)

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks for any help

Re: Not another speaker/monitor question…..

Emes Kolbalts !

for the money they cant be touched.

Mackie HR 824 is another

both powered near fields

I do know the 824 but I never heard about the Kobalt. Is there any big difference about they? Is 824 so much better?
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

The whole point is to get accurate response, right? So I think the less components you have in the chain, the better. therefore I'd go with active monitors and bypass the amp.

I'm up here in Canada on a work visa. I recently ran into a Canadian company called Yorkville. I picked up a pair of YSM1p's. I referenced them against HR-824s, Genelecs, the Behringer 824 rip-offs and the 400 dollar M-Audios.

They didn't quite compete with 824's or the Genelecs, but I was still mighty impressed, and they were 600 bucks for the pair, Canadian. So you could probably get a pair for $500.00 US. 824's represent the low-mids so well and that's where the Yorkvilles get a little muddy, but I mean just a tiny bit. Overall they are very accurate right through the spectrum. I'm mentioning these because I know nobody else will. Read up on them. They're a good buy.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Thanks for the replies..

Shopping or speakers is so subjective.

.. And I'm wondering about Active vr. Passive. Wouldn't give it a second thought had I not an existing Amp, but I thought it could be useful.

I admit I'm leaning more towards an Active pair, since they seem to be so popular, I would assume they're developed more accurately.

It seems I'm bombarded with the Mackie HR824s everywhere I look, but sadly I haven't $1400, 00 to spend.

Thanks Michael

I never came across the brand Yorkville in my monitor searches, but the quality of sound on your website sounds great!, (assuming they were used there)

I'll check them out tomorrow.

Thanks again for the insight.

By the way, any comments on Events 20/20 V2 ? Are they decent?

the Kolbalts are like $699 for a pair. for under $1000 i don think there is anything better.

A recording engineer friend of mine has the Emes Pinks and he's VERY happy with them.

Go active. Sell the amp on ebay.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

Thanks again for the replies.

I thought of sticking with a popular brand, but I realize there's so many out there.

My fear is walking into the music store inquiring about speakers, and having the sales person try to sell me a model they have overstocked.

The names mentioned at least gives me a place to start with.

Thanks for the info, I searched about the EMES and I was happy with what I found out.

What about the KRK powered amps, people? Anyone here uses it?
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Go Back to forum