• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Conroller(s) for GPO ?

Share/Bookmark

Conroller(s) for GPO ?

I'm getting GPO for Christmas but want to get proper hardware in advance.

One thing confusing me is I understand how realism can be approached with use of controls, keyswitches, pedals, etc. to invoke vibrato, amplitude, velocity dependent samples, etc.

But what isn't clear to a newbie like me is, without generalities, how you GPO pros <actually> are set up for this and specifically what some recommended controller(s) are to get the most out of GPO. It sounds a bit like rubbing your head and patting your tummy to me. Could some of you please tell me specifically what controller(s) you use, which wheel or slider or foot pedal you use for what when, for example, recording a realistic string or horn line. And what brand/model controllers I should look at with what features, sliders, wheels, etc.. for the best ergonomics in realtime input. I have an 88 key weighted midi keyboard already (Roland) but it doesn't have any controllers on it. My goal is realistic acoustic/orchestral emulation.

Thanks for any pointers.

Bob

Re: Conroller(s) for GPO ?

hey there, the controller setup in gpo is pretty simple-- basically all you need is a sustain pedal and a modulation wheel (i do not know if u can obtain a mod. wheel as a standalone without a keyboard, so i would seem like u'd need to get your hands on a keyboard/controller that has a mod. wheel)-- the sustain pedal for most of the instruments activates legato, or smooth transition between the notes, and the mod. wheel controls volume and timbre/brightness, and does so simultaneously, so basically u play the notes with your right hand (how hard u hit the keys makes a difference in aggressiveness of attack of the sound) and control the volume with the left hand (with the modulation wheel), and sometimes u press the sustain pedal when u want a legato sound-- this may sound difficult to do, but trust me it is not--it is very intuitive , within five minutes u'll have a pretty good feel--

many sample libraries rely much more heavily on keyswitching(pressing specific keys with your left hand activates a certain articulation or style while u play with your right hand) and this has proven not to be such a successful setup, it just takes too much concentration and is hard to learn to play smoothly-- in gpo, all u focus on is the actual performance, u won't have anything else to think about-- all the other parameters and controls can be done via midi editing, and with enough effort can really improve the performance, but all the basic controls are pretty much done realtime, as i explained before--

Sammy,

Thanks, that helps alot. I guess I was confused from reading about Gigasampler, key switching and all that other stuff. One remaining question though: can you use aftertouch in a keyboard that supports it in GPO to invoke vibrato or whatever, or do you do that also in midi editing ?

Bob

I know it's not a MIDI controller, but I hope you have AT LEAST one gig of RAM. I've been stuck at less than 512MB for a long time and can't get anything useful out of GPO at all because of it.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

bob-- as far as aftertouch is concerned, there is an update available that contains x-custom folders, which means u have the ability to customize your controllers, now this is not something i have spent really any time on, but i do believe that u can just set any particular available midi parameter to the controller of your choice, so u can take vibrato or another midi parameter and set it to aftertouch, and that should do it-- as i said, i'm not yet into the heavy midi editing, i'm focusing more on the music and orchestration, not final-production quality, but i'm pretty sure that this can be done easily with the x-custom setup-- and i think u only had to download that free update if u purchased gpo before they made the update, now if u buy gpo it should be included in the regular version

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sammy24
    bob-- as far as aftertouch is concerned, there is an update available that contains x-custom folders, which means u have the ability to customize your controllers, now this is not something i have spent really any time on, but i do believe that u can just set any particular available midi parameter to the controller of your choice, so u can take vibrato or another midi parameter and set it to aftertouch, and that should do it-- as i said, i'm not yet into the heavy midi editing, i'm focusing more on the music and orchestration, not final-production quality, but i'm pretty sure that this can be done easily with the x-custom setup-- and i think u only had to download that free update if u purchased gpo before they made the update, now if u buy gpo it should be included in the regular version

Sam
    Again, thanks Sam for responding. Very helpful and I'll look into it. As for the other append re RAM, I plan on getting 1.5 GB (have heard that anthing over that isn't used in XP), but was surprised to hear that the appender is having trouble getting anything meaningful done with a GB or less...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bcarwell
    Again, thanks Sam for responding. Very helpful and I'll look into it. As for the other append re RAM, I plan on getting 1.5 GB (have heard that anthing over that isn't used in XP), but was surprised to hear that the appender is having trouble getting anything meaningful done with a GB or less...

Bob
    Correction- I re-read the append as saying he has something less than 512MB. Now that wouldn't surprise me about having some difficulties... Fortunately RAM is relatively cheap ...

Quote Originally Posted by bcarwell
    Correction- I re-read the append as saying he has something less than 512MB. Now that wouldn't surprise me about having some difficulties... Fortunately RAM is relatively cheap ...
    Yep. 1.5GB will do you very well! And it's 2GB that Windows XP is limited to, so go ahead and get a pair of 1GB modules if you like.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

But what isn't clear to a newbie like me is, without generalities, how you GPO pros <actually> are set up for this and specifically what some recommended controller(s) are to get the most out of GPO.
    I wouldn't consider myself a GPO pro, but my setup is:

• Kurzweil K1000 SE II keyboard. Pretty tame by modern standards (a whole 3MB of sample memory! WOW!) but it serves well for keyboard input (velocity sensitive, channel aftertouch, two footswitches, mod/breath wheel, pitch wheel and data slider).
    • Yamaha WX5 wind controller. No mucking about with the mod wheel (and with Markleford's brilliant AutoLegato MFX plugin, no need for a footswitch either). Just play it like a woodwind; use your lungs instead of the mod wheel, and your tongue instead of the footswitch. This piece was done entirely with the WX5, with no editing of note or controller data afterwards. If you want beautifully realistic woodwind/brass parts, I can't recommend a wind controller highly enough.
    • Behringer BCF2000. Fantastic for controlling the X-Custom instrument parameters. I've got the sliders set up to control vibrato intensity and speed, portamento, length, brightness and variable tuning/timbre; the rotary knobs are set up as pitch bend, mod wheel, breath control, volume, pan and trill interval.

Could some of you please tell me specifically what controller(s) you use, which wheel or slider or foot pedal you use for what when, for example, recording a realistic string or horn line.
    Well, for wind instruments, the wind controller's all I need. The X-Custom instruments respond to breath data in multiple ways: overall volume, attack strength and brightness. I can control pitch bend either with a thumb wheel or lower jaw pressure on the "reed". Tonguing not only controls legato (thanks to Markleford's plugin), but also shapes the notes realistically by constricting the air column at the very end of the note, as happens when playing a physical instrument.

When I'm doing string parts, I'll do one pass with the keyboard using the mod wheel and footswitch. The mod wheel controls the overall volume, keystrike velocity controls the attack, and the footswitch controls the legato. (To use the footswitch, depress it just before a note when you want to make it blend in with the previous note; release it before a note you want to have a discrete attack.)

And then I'll often do a second record pass on the same track and move sliders on the BCF2000 -- for example, when doing a fast run on a string part, I'll bump up the variable tuning (CC22) after the first note of the run, then drop it down to 0 before the last note; this ensures that the run isn't computer-precise, and it adds a lot to the realism (especially when you've got a whole section doing it).

And then if I'm feeling really obsessive, I'll go in and add keyswitch data to the solo string instruments to control the bow direction -- which usually then requires tweaking of the mod data and/or note velocity, and a lot of listening to parts individually and in combination to get things perfect.

Keyboard parts, fortunately, are easy. Just play 'em! I made a copy of the GPO DLL with a different filename, and set that to use normal sustain/sostenuto mode; I put keyboard instruments in an instance of this player, so I can use the sustain pedal normally, and everything else in instances the regular player, so I can use the sustain pedal for legato.

Hope this is the sort of info you were looking for.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    Yep. 1.5GB will do you very well! And it's 2GB that Windows XP is limited to, so go ahead and get a pair of 1GB modules if you like.
    Actually, XP supports up to 4GB of memory, but under normal conditions, only 2GB is allocated to applications (the other 2GB will be used by the kernel). You can boot with /3GB in the BOOT.INI file to allocate 3GB to application space, and 1GB to the kernel.

However, if you boot with Physical Address Extension enabled (/PAE), Windows 2000 and later can access up to 64 GB of physical memory.

Or so I've read; as I only have 2GB of physical memory, I've never had the opportunity to try either of these.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum