• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: MP3

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member Tom_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ellendale, ND
    Posts
    1,486

    MP3

    Just a quick question:

    I was mixing an MP3 file on my CUBASE LE and noticed a message telling me I have only 11 more times to mix MP3s - it then said to go to Steinberg to get an MP3 download at an undisclosed price. Continued visits to Steinberg website were futile. All I could find was a download for about $20.00 for Apple users. I am using a PC.

    Someone please tell me what the software is that I have to download, how much it costs and where I can get it.

    Being able to mix to MP3s is a major need to send samples to prospective studio buyers. I would also appreciate knowing if this is a one-time purchase, or do I have to keep downloading to have MP3 capabilities.

  2. #2

    Re: MP3

    Hi Tom, I would not recommend mixing to an MP3. Always mix to a stereo audio file.

    In Mac land they call it an AIFF file. Then use any software to convert your stereo audio file to an MP3.

    Dan

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tom_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ellendale, ND
    Posts
    1,486

    Re: MP3

    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Tom, I would not recommend mixing to an MP3. Always mix to a stereo audio file.

    In Mac land they call it an AIFF file. Then use any software to convert your stereo audio file to an MP3.

    Dan


    I may have used the wrong term. I had finished work n the piece and was exporting to audio mixdown - that results in an MP3 file. My PC does this quite handily - (I usually write in MIDI with Maestro Software - import the MIDI file to CUBASE, assign and edit GPO, then export to the client) MP3s are small enough to handily e-mail to my clients - keeps things simple. I had no idea that the software that came with the Omega Lexicon i purchased which contained the GPO was time limited. It is convenient to do a one-step process to mix down without having to load external software each time.

  4. #4

    Re: MP3

    I believe what DPDAN meant is: export audio to a .wav file and then subsequently convert the wav file to an mp3 file. You loose a lot of information/quality when you convert from wav to mp3. If you start out with a wav file, you still have easy access to this info on your HDD. If you start out with an mp3 file and later want better quality, you need to go through the whole export audio proces again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tom_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ellendale, ND
    Posts
    1,486

    Re: MP3

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I believe what DPDAN meant is: export audio to a .wav file and then subsequently convert the wav file to an mp3 file. You loose a lot of information/quality when you convert from wav to mp3. If you start out with a wav file, you still have easy access to this info on your HDD. If you start out with an mp3 file and later want better quality, you need to go through the whole export audio proces again.


    Ah. Thank you.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: MP3

    Tom,
    I am using Cubase SE and have had the same problem with Steinburg. Tried a search for updates with no luck. As far as limited MP3 on Cubase, I export to wav then use Sony Acid 5.0 to convert to mp3 (unlimited).
    Steinburg? Where?
    Styxx

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lincoln City, Oregon
    Posts
    194

    Re: MP3

    You don't have to pay Steinberg any thing to get unlimited mp3 conversion; just don't use theirs. Google for mp3 converters and you should get a lot of hits. Any Lame converter is OK and another good one is CDEX. They are free. Steiny's is, I think, $10, although I can't give you a link I have seen it somewhere on one of their sites.

    Tom

  8. #8
    Senior Member Tom_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ellendale, ND
    Posts
    1,486

    Re: MP3

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Tom,
    I am using Cubase SE and have had the same problem with Steinburg. Tried a search for updates with no luck. As far as limited MP3 on Cubase, I export to wav then use Sony Acid 5.0 to convert to mp3 (unlimited).
    Steinburg? Where?
    I am glad to find that I am not the only one having trouble communicating with Steinberg. A major thank you for your help.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tom_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ellendale, ND
    Posts
    1,486

    Re: MP3

    Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    You don't have to pay Steinberg any thing to get unlimited mp3 conversion; just don't use theirs. Google for mp3 converters and you should get a lot of hits. Any Lame converter is OK and another good one is CDEX. They are free. Steiny's is, I think, $10, although I can't give you a link I have seen it somewhere on one of their sites.

    Tom


    You have given great info - thank you. I never thought I would actually begin selling the music in the first place. This is all a big surprise to me. In spite of the problems I have had with Cubase and Steinberg, I find the GPO one of the best investments I have ever made.

  10. #10

    Re: MP3

    Thanks Nickie,,, that is what I meant

    dpDan

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •