• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hi everybody

Share/Bookmark

Hi everybody

Just wanted to say hi to everyone at this end of NS. I've been a regular at Samples and Garritan sections but just recently sort of discovered this area. I've just picked up an RPG for PC composing and sound design gig for a brand new company who is in the process of building a trailer for the game right now. I got hired on for the trailer first and now I have the game gig too if all goes well and the investors keep pooring money in. I guess they are waiting for what they are calling "2nd phase money". They've already gotten alot of money for making the trailer and the trailer's primary purpose is to further attract more investors. Kind of give the presentations a "wow" factor. Anyway, I'm thrilled to be a part of it and I'm glad I discovered this great community of pros and novices alike to learn from. I have done some commercial and short film work but this will be the biggest of all my endeavors for sure. It will also be the first time that I have gotten a chance to work fulltime doing music for media work. (If all goes well that is). I have some demos at http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=327701&T=7762 but to be fair, all of this stuff is a little dated now as some of it was even done with Roland and E-mu hardware instead of the VSTs I primarily use now. Also, none of it is really written for game type of music but I really cant wait to start doing some of that too. Anything but installing another furnace or air-conditioner.

Eric
    Last edited by EricWatkins; 10-22-2005 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo

Re: Hi everybody

Congrats Eric.

I ran into the same type of opportunity when I first got into games. I was hired as a sound designer and eventually got to do the music too. It was the same type of start-up situation where the whole company was creating content to secure more funding as opposed to actually making the game.

It seems like you could logically do both, but not when the game requires a whole heap of new technology, which was the case for that game (it was an MMORPG).

That game was pretty much a failure by commercial standards and yet it was still a huge success for me personally and professionally. I made a lot of friends there who are now working at some of the best game companies around and the experience I gained allowed me to get better jobs. Now I just work in the game industry

So getting that first gig is really the hardest part but once you're in and making contacts it's a lot easier to keep the momentum going. So, this is really huge man. Again, congrats!!!
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Smile Re: Hi everybody

Wow Michael,
    That's really inspiring to hear and encouraging too. The game has been the brainchild of this developer for ten years and is just now coming close to being fully made. It is already a playable beta version but far from finished as far as graphics and animation. It all seems like a long shot but if it all pans out I'll probably cry tears of joy. I just cant imagine being paid enough to live off of music. A true dream come true. It is also exciting for the toys in the budget. I've got a modest setup with a single DAW with a good sequencer and several nice, standard plugins but they want me to design a new studio for this game at thier location with a way more generous budget than I have put into my own studio in the last ten years. It's a chance to get with all the new Sample libs that I've been drooling over for so long and enough daws to setup a nice template. They are also understanding to the idea that I'll be seting up and learnig the new sounds for a couple months before we really write any music. It is scary when I read the undergoing that some games go through to make a score but I wouldnt dare let fear demotivate me from this project. I'll just have to work really hard. So Excited. By the way, anyone out there using Spectrasonics' Extreme FX? The demo seems really cool. Thanks Michael.

Eric

Go Back to forum