• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Where can I get a midi foot controller?

Share/Bookmark

Where can I get a midi foot controller?

Hi there,

I've started using Halion Player for my strings and I'd like to use a foot pedal that transmits midi volume to Cubase somehow - I can seem to find such a product except those which are designed to work with a specific controller keyboard, or those that are for guitarists, with buttons etc.

I'm using a yamaha P120 on Cubase SX 2.2 with a terratec EWS88MT card.

Thanks for your help!

Gav

Re: Where can I get a midi foot controller?

Behringer FCB-1010

About $125-150 from musiciansfriend or any music e-tailer.

I use one with to control a Yamaha vlm70 windsyth box.
    10 patch pedals and 2 volume/expression pedals.
    You can program ANY midi message to any pedal easily.

seacave: I use a Korg pedal as I have Korg keyboards, but it works fine with other brands, and transmits expression data too. Don't be put off by thinking a certain brand only works with it's own brand. What pedal inputs does your Yammy have?

Just to expand on what Irvin says, you shouldn't need a stand-alone foot controller like Tim's, just an expression pedal that you plug into your keyboard. It should cost something like $30.

Nick, you guys over the pond don't know how lucky you are....

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stock...NT&context=WEB

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I've had problems in the past with different makes if pedals not giving me the full 0-127 range on my controller keyboard, and/or a different taper that puts most of the change in a small area of the pedal travel. Some keyboard controllers allow you to recalibrate for different pedals, some don't.
    But some pedals have pots that determine the pedal range. A typical controller pedal is just a standard linear taper pot, some are log (audio) taper, but the est controllers are usually linear, with an internal value of say 1 megohm. A trimmer will allow that pot to maintain a full off position (max resistance) from a full megohm down to a couple hundred ohms with no issues, provided that the pedal is compatible with your keyboard. I have used Roland EV-10s, Yamaha FC7s, and many standard popular types like the Ernie Ball pedal with success.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I have used Roland EV-10s, Yamaha FC7s, and many standard popular types like the Ernie Ball pedal with success.
    Have you ever tried to plug them to a Kurzweil? There you would surely get the experience Lee's talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Mahal
    Have you ever tried to plug them to a Kurzweil? There you would surely get the experience Lee's talking about
    I'll second that!

I had a PC88 for years and forget if it caused me any such problems with pedals, but the point remains.. You don't 'need' to use a manufacturer's own pedal.

I have to disagree with Lee, as my Korg pedal (used only with my Korg gear) has a range at the top where moving it produces virtually no discernible difference at all, then further down it works great. And yes I've adjusted the pot, but I've never got it working the way I would ideally like. However, that particular pedal is built like a tank (and cost almost as much... ) , and since it's used for live work only, I'm inclined to stick with it.

seacave: any reputable dealer should be happy to exchange a pedal for you if you find it doesn't work with your Yammy. Or doesn't work in a way that you like, with regards to flatspots on the travel of the pedal.

Go Back to forum