• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Film Scoring advice

Share/Bookmark

Film Scoring advice

This is to any of you out there who have scored a film using one of the orchestral sample libs.

I have done a few indy films but usually I was given QTs of each cue as they became available. I am about to start a new film, but this time will be getting the entire film in one file. My question is - do you guys bring in the entire film file and then to score each individual cue, start the movie at diferent points on the time line for different cues? Or do you break up the film file into each cue and import that smaller file into your sequencer to score. If so what program do you use to break up the movie file and how do you keep track of the TC? I usually give the editor the TC for the starting point of the music.

Thanks-
    Tom

Re: Film Scoring advice

If at all possible set up another computer with a sequencer, put your film on this computer then slave your daw to it. You'll be much happier than becoming a film editor. Trust me. I've been there.

This way you can run the sequencer like any tape player and you can send midi clock to sync the daw.

Ars

I set up each cue as a separate sequence, but I use the same QT file for all of them, just offset to start at whatever TC the cue is supposed to start at. It's pretty simple and I really can't think of any reason to need to offload the movie playback to another computer.

If possible I would ask for a TC burn-in just to be absolutely in sync with the video guys.

Customarily, the movie would start at 01:00:00;00 and go from there. Ideally they would have split the film in reels, but I guess with all of the digital indies out there they don't do that anymore.

Lastly, if you wanted to split the movie into smaller files (absolutely unnecessary, but that's when a TC burn-in would definitely be necessary) you could use Quicktime Pro ($29), or even the free iMovie. Final Cut Pro or Express if you really want to brag to your friends.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

MIdphase:

That's exactly what I thought would be best. The first sequence may not need any offset, but then each seq (cue) after that would. As I see it, if you wanted your music to start on bar 3, and the cue started at 5 mins into the film wouldn't you need a negative movie start offset? Right? Can Dp do offsets backward?

Thanks-
    Tom

Oh yeah and how do you keep track of each music cues' TC start point to give to your editor so he knows where to start music for layback?

TS

In DP (if I remember correctly) you set up your QT file start time (always at 1:00:00;00) and then you set up your sequence start time which would be for example 1:03:02;17 which would get you to the beginning of your cue at bar 3 or 5 or whichever you choose.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Mid:

Hey as far as I know in DP yes there is a QT start time but there is no seq start time. So I can delay the start of the movie but I can't go the other way the start time does not go in the negative.

TS

YES THERE IS I FOUND IT,

Sorry dude.

That works to a degree for sure. But trust me you're going to take a hit on your CPU that you'll miss once the orchestrations and effects 'n stuff get too heavy.

I still think running it on a seperate computer is the best imo.

Ars

Hey ARS thanks for the info, I think my situation might be a little different. First off I run 5 machines 1 for seq and four for sound libs, so the CPU is ok running the movie and seq together. Plus I get instant scrubing within the program, I should have clarified that from the beginning. But I still cannot get DP to start the movie at say 6 secs in but starting on bar 2.
    Changing the seq start time does not seem to work because the bars just changed where they start relative to time but the movie still starts in the same place no matter where I start the seq.

???????????

Go Back to forum