• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No. 2 "Extrasolar Explorations"

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No. 2 "Extrasolar Explorations"

Here is the first movement of my second symphony (in progress). This movement is somewhat complete, although revisions to it are likely since my composition teacher here at UT will probably have suggestions.

All instruments are GPO and it is rendered in Finale 2006 with Human Playback... no MIDI editing. There are a few crackles at the loud tutti parts, but that is par for the course with full orchestra on my computer.

I. Technological Marvels

II. The Vastness of Space

III. Wormhole

IV. Emergence and Discovery
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Symphony No. 2 "Extrasolar Explorations"

I love ambitious music! Your symphony sounds really good though I don't really get how the programatic nature of the title relates to the music. It sounds more like pure music to me and reminds me of some of the symphonies of Robert Simpson. It must have taken a lot of work and I'd like to hear the rest of it when finished.

The sounds are pretty good - I have Finale 2006 but haven't installed it yet. Timpani sounds great. Well, very good work. Could you describe a bit the program and where you intend the other movements to go?

Karim

It isn't programmatic despite the title. The title is just a mood. The piece is somewhat mechanical, so that's where the title comes from, but I never compose program music.

Thanks for listening.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Jess, a strong first movement. I'm very much looking forward to hearing this in the context of the rest of the symphony!

On Finale 2006, you may be able to diminish the burp-and-crackle problems by knocking back the CPU usage in Ambience, and by lowering the overall volume on the Finale mixer a little... seemed to work for me when I was having trouble with tutti sections (especially the horns).

Running on the edge myself, I also routinely open Task Manager and kill off a number of processes. Also, making sure the CD drive is empty, unplugging my external hard drive and USB memory stick, clearing Windows/Prefetch, and rebooting just before recording helps. Running a (free) utility like CCleaner www.ccleaner.com is a good idea...

Love some of the woodwind work in this, by the way!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

WOW! This is amazing. There's a lot of good stuff on this forum, this is great. The detail is engrossing and the piece as a whole is very original. Waiting for the rest of this one.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanks for the comments.

As for the crackles, I am on a Mac, and I have tried all the tricks I can. There are a couple things I could fool around with, but I only use playback as a scratch pad (a damn good one... love GPO).

There are going to be four more movements. The second movement, "The Vastness of Space" is in the refining stages also right now, but not as far along as the first, so I won't be posting it quite yet. The third movement is going to be a fast (Presto fast) Scherzo type movement. The fourth and fifth are still stewing in my brain, but I can say that the fifth is going to be the epic movement, so it may be a ways down the road.

The 2nd could come as early as this week. (fingers crossed)

It just depends on what further revisions need be made on the first.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    As for the crackles, I am on a Mac...
    Ack! Rash of me to just instantly assume someone is running Windows -- sorry! Perhaps the comments will be of use to some WinBox folks.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Ack! Rash of me to just instantly assume someone is running Windows -- sorry! Perhaps the comments will be of use to some WinBox folks.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

lol

The odds were in your favor. I am sure my next Mac won't crackle, but I will have to finish my Masters and get my Doctorate so I can get a Professorship, cause I sure can't afford one now.

It might actually be the volume, but I don't know. I may fiddle with that. I just don't want the many pp sections to disappear. BTW... I am so not a person who enjoys screwing with MIDI. That is why I am such a big fan of Human Playback. I like putting pizz. or putting tremelo on strings and hearing it without having to mess with "program changes" or other things. It's the next best thing to real performers.

I will really get to see how my GPO renderings of my work stack up either this semester or next because UT does student readings with full orchestra. I submitted my Sinfonietta this semester, but it was late. I will have to see if they do it. I am certain next semester I will have a piece or two read.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Great work!

A great deal of work went into this, which sows in the final piece....All the music elements blend well with one another…

Can't think of any other comment other than perhaps overall it might do with a bit of reverb/ambience here and there. (personal taste)

Nice arrangement!

jeff

Thumbs up Re: Symphony No. 2 "Extrasolar Explorations"

WOW! This is great!! really?
    There are a lots of interesting passages and the orchestration is quite perfect!!
    I will waiting for the rest as well

Best to you,
    Roberto

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast