• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Starting Over

Share/Bookmark

Starting Over

I have a lot of problem's with my computer due to it not shutting down properly from a power failure , and STUPID ME not having a UPS hooked up .....Since having problems with my computer, so I am basically going to do a clean install of Window's, and start over again with all my programs.....A registry fix does nothing , and doing a system restore to an earlier date does nothing either ...I am going to

1) Save my Giga License backup to floppy ( I hope this works ?? )

2) RELOAD Window's to another H.D. on the same computer ( can I do this without Windows license problems ? )

3) Clean the H.D. that was giving me problems

4) Install Windows on the H.D. after cleaning it ...

5) Remove Windows from the 2nd H.D.

6) Reload programs and hope for the best !!

Does this sound like the correct proceedure ? ....I am SURE that I want to clean the original H.D. that is giving me problems....I have wasted a lot of time trying to fix it ....It needs a new beginning from scratch ....I've pulled too much hair out of my head trying to get this system to work properly ...
    I'm a little bit smarter now ....I bought a UPS for this machine !!
    I would most certainly suggest that ANYBODY setting up a computer , before you plug the computer in , make sure you have a UPS inline FIRST THING !!.... Don't be a dumb a_ _ like me !!........Jim

Re: Starting Over

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    I have a lot of problem's with my computer due to it not shutting down properly from a power failure , and STUPID ME not having a UPS hooked up .....Since having problems with my computer, so I am basically going to do a clean install of Window's, and start over again with all my programs.....A registry fix does nothing , and doing a system restore to an earlier date does nothing either ...I am going to

1) Save my Giga License backup to floppy ( I hope this works ?? )

2) RELOAD Window's to another H.D. on the same computer ( can I do this without Windows license problems ? )

3) Clean the H.D. that was giving me problems

4) Install Windows on the H.D. after cleaning it ...

5) Remove Windows from the 2nd H.D.

6) Reload programs and hope for the best !!

Does this sound like the correct proceedure ? ....I am SURE that I want to clean the original H.D. that is giving me problems....I have wasted a lot of time trying to fix it ....It needs a new beginning from scratch ....I've pulled too much hair out of my head trying to get this system to work properly ...
    I'm a little bit smarter now ....I bought a UPS for this machine !!
    I would most certainly suggest that ANYBODY setting up a computer , before you plug the computer in , make sure you have a UPS inline FIRST THING !!.... Don't be a dumb a_ _ like me !!........Jim
    Jim,
    If you've got 2 HD's, don't bother backing up windows to the second drive-just back up the files you need to keep, updates etc (unless I'm missing something). And why not save your giga license backup on the same drive. To heck with floppy!! Make sure you uninstall giga after backing up the license, but before formatting the drive. This will save you some potential regitration issues. And for when you re-install giga, Tascam recommends that you re-download the patches....don't install the updates from saved patches. I'm not sure if this makes a huge difference, but better safe than sorry. Also, just to be thorough, make sure you do the tweaks on the tascam website. After installing windows, of course.

Here's hoping for the end of your troubles,

Belbin

Belbin,
    Thanks for your reply ....Not having to back up Windows to the 2nd drive makes me feel better ...A few less steps ..... My patch's are already on the 2nd drive, so I don't have to deal with that issue either ....So I will basically UN install what needs to be undone, and then reformat and Put Window's on one more time ..... I have 3 other drives on this machine besides the one that I want to do a clean install on ....The 2nd drive holds my samples, and my 3rd and 4rth were just set up in a Raid0 setup to put more samples in ...
    These drives should NOT be affected by what I am doing with the 1rst drive should they ?...... I sure hope not ....Thanks again.....Jim

Sounds ok. Make sure you know which drive is which. Know all their different capacities. On windows install, you'll be prompted to delete partition, create new partition, and format partition. You'll have the choice of which drive to do this with. Do so with the wrong drive, and you lose your precious data.

You want to guarantee against this happening, remove all the drives except the one you want to clean up before doing anything. Then you can't lose.

Belbin

Wink Re: Starting Over

For future reference, Acronis True Image.
    Will bring your drive up in less then 10 minutes, even if it's a totally different drive! FYI I also save all my performances on 2 sample drives just in case!
    http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/tru...pe=true+image9
    I have version 8 and it works great! Saves the C:\ drive compressed to another drive, DVD or another networked computer!
    Later
    Brian

A new problem ( actually an old one that continue's to rear it's ugly face )

I am trying to do a clean install ....I have tried with no luck the process of installing Window's XP sp 1 on ANY hard drive .....I continue to get a message
    \i386\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded ...The error code is 7
    Sometimes I also get error code 4096 ....... It will NOT allow me to continue on my mission of trying to get rid of the old OS, and replace it with the same version ....Something is not right ....Maybe something is corrupt ? .... I thought I could just out with the old, and in with the new ....I can't even do this with Window's without gettng error messages ....Any idea's ? ...I worked till 3 am this morning trying to figure this out, and tried for a few days earlier..
    I'm tired of this already .....HHEEEEEEEELLLLP !!..... ....Thanks, Jim

Jim, what I did was run out and grab another HD...
    I ended up spending $100 for a 200 giga ata133 Maxtor drive with a $20 rebate, $80 total (that's in Can funds)... Once I loaded the new drive, I was able to erase the other drive once it wasn't the boot drive without any issue!
    It sucks but should save time and mental madness as we've all gone through!
    But again, once you get everything up and running again, do an Acronis image copy and give yourself some confidence that you can boot quick...
    FYI the trouble I had with the other drive is resolved and in fact I imaged that drive as well so, if I ever have a problem I can just load that drive in, play in the bios a bit and be back up in miuntes!
    Later

Brian,
    Right you are !!.....I will order a new H.D. and go from there .....My machine is loaded now w/4 Sata drives..... I'm going to try your suggestion ....I sure hope that it will do the trick ....I'm really getting a good education with Windows !!.. the hard way !!....I have to not only learn Window's and Raid setup's, but I do this while I'm learning to setup and use GigaStudio..
    Tell me I'm not a glutten for punishment !!....Hopefully I have been through some of the worst that Window's has to offer ( please tell me I have )...I have had this computer for a few months now, and have not yet had everything working properly at all ... I'm very determined though ...So is this \i386\halaacpi.dll piece of crap a common error running Window's ? ... I did a Google search and did not come up with much ....Most said it was either a CD Rom or the actuall CD error ... .....What do I know....I'll get the new H.D. and go from there ......Thanks again .....Sincerely, Jim

Hey I've been using a windows DAW for over 15 years, Even when you think you've got it all figured out they go and update it all and wreck it!
    Keep us posted, Do a fresh install of everything and see where that goes.
    It is frustrating to be doing that instead of playing/recording, but once you can it's well worth the pain. Make sure you do one thing ata time. No pci cards, sound cards, yada yada, load windows and add 1 peice of gear at a time reboot then add another!
    Good luck
    Later

Hope your Windows CD is ok???

Go Back to forum