• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Seagate Disc Drive

Share/Bookmark

New Seagate Disc Drive

Here's a review of the Seagate 7200.9 500 MB hard drive from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=2577&p=1

The new drive supports SATA II at 3.0 Gbps, has a 16 MB cache and supports NCQ.

For pure sample-playback performance, it doesn't match the read times of the 10,000 rpm Raptors. However, the Raptors are relatively small.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=2577&p=3

The Hitachi 7K400 beats the Seagate by a bit in the read test, and has a much lower platter temp, and lower active noise. For idle noise, the Seagate looks pretty good though...

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...px?i=2577&p=14

I'm still waiting for a free, cold, silent, huge, infinitely fast hard drive to hit the market. Until then, the Seagate and Hitachi drives are good contenders, if you need lots of space, but the Raptor keeps the performance crown for fast, but small, sample drives.

-JF

Re: New Seagate Disc Drive

Most reviews I've read for 300+ GB drives tell of long term reliability issues (within weeks to months of heavy use they die.) I wonder if the medium is reaching its peak. The platter sizes on those must be awfully small. Of course, most 300+ size drives are relatively new to the market (considering the other sizes) so maybe there's just manufacturing faults to be worked out.

I'll let you guys know how I make out with my 2 - 300gig Seagates running in a Raid0 setup ...I hope they get past "weeks " and "month's " for that matter... The 400 gig drives are still pricey....Maybe that will change now that the 500 is the new big boy in town ..I still have to get my computer going from my problem early on with the power outage .....It will be up and running soon .....Jim

Regarding long-term reliability, the platter temp on the new Seagate looks risky.

-JF

Jon,
    Which Hitachi's were you looking at ?.....Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Regarding long-term reliability, the platter temp on the new Seagate looks risky.
    That caught my eye too. Odd that the Seagate 120's are the coolest things going while the new 500 is the oposite. The 7200.7 400 seems to be a safer bet.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    Jon,
    Which Hitachi's were you looking at ?.....Thanks, Jim
    Hi Jim,

The Hitachi 7K400 and T7K250 drives look to have the fastest read times of all of the 7,200 rpm hard drives. They also have the quietest performance when transferring data.

I'm not sure about their reliability, cost and availability, but assuming that they're good, the Hitachis are probably the best large sample drives, with the Raptors being the best small sample drives.

Note: My sample drive is a 160 GB Seagate. At the time it had the top rating for acoustics and had competitive performance. I've always had good reliability from Seagate drives.

-JF

Jon,
    Thanks for the reply....I'll have to look into the Hitachi's .... With the libraries getting to the sizes that they are, it's hard to ignore the larger drives...I had a problem running a Raid0 setup using the Promise controller on my ASUS card , and my case was also too small , and my power supply too small for everything I wanted to run ..I had a lot of various errors ....The Intel ICH5 is the controller I SHOULD have used as others on the forum have used.....I ended up with an 80 gig Seagate SATA for applications, and only 1 Seagate 300 gig SATA for samples....My next computer will be a larger case, better ventilation, and a HUGE power supply ample for a large Raid0 setup .. With all the platters in these larger drives, there is more heat , and power usage, and if the case is not properly vented , the larger drives WILL crash and burn !!
    I will also build a "cool box " to put the computers in to cool, and quiet things down a bit ... A lot of hard lessons to have learned in the last few months !!.....Jim

Check out www.silentpcreview.com for great info about building quiet computers.

-JF

Go Back to forum