• Register
  • Help

Topic: XP - ACPI vs Standard PC vs. Standard PC w c-step

Share/Bookmark

XP - ACPI vs Standard PC vs. Standard PC w c-step

On many audio pages, its suggested that in XP you force the OS to select an alternative Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) than the default ACPI when you are installing the OS. Specifically, they suggest you take STANDARD PC.

However two options are presented when you select F5 from the first screen on install of XP
    STANDARD PC

and

STANDARD PC w C-STEP i486

Does anyone know the difference between Standard PC vs. Standard PC w/ c-step i486 options?

I looked everywhere on the web and don\'t find a specific definition or which one my MOBO or processor needs...

Re: XP - ACPI vs Standard PC vs. Standard PC w c-step

hi Composer
    Sorry - for dropping out off the XP 2gig memory
    problem - maybe I\'ll be back with something later
    on that one.

This one however seems straightforward.
    Step i486 - sounds like its a setup for
    the old 486 processor systems. Strange though
    that they should bother to support a processor
    that wen\'t out of production about 5 years ago.

bjk

Originally posted by Sapkiller:
    hi Composer
    Sorry - for dropping out off the XP 2gig memory
    problem - maybe I\'ll be back with something later
    on that one.

This one however seems straightforward.
    Step i486 - sounds like its a setup for
    the old 486 processor systems. Strange though
    that they should bother to support a processor
    that wen\'t out of production about 5 years ago.

bjk
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There was references here and there but nothing solid. Looks like I made the right choice with STANDARD PC. ACPI was giving me lots of headache. Boots are fast now with STANDARD installed as a HAL.

No problem about the memory. Turns out nemesys/tascam wasn\'t telling all teh facts and now admits that they have this problem on XP AND W2K. A number of other people reported the same. I\'m still learning about Memory management and w2k, but it seems like these guys were doing kernel calls to work around virtual memory constraints etc. Anyway, I am convinced now these guys are hacks...just by some of the bugs they are fixing in 2.52.05

PatS

C-Step (or C-stepping) refers to a newer set of masks in the 486DX2 chip to correct bugs in the previous release of the chip. I\'m surprised that Micro$oft still offers it as an alternative HAL; perhaps they forgot it was there. From what I understand, the C-Step i486 HAL was necessry back in the good-old days of NT 3.51 and 4.0, when the Standard PC HAL would exacerbate bugs in that CPU, causing the system to crash. Who knows if the D-stepping processor solved the problem, though I doubt anyone really cares.

BTW, here\'s Andy Grove\'s take on \"stepping\":

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/qed/mail-archive/volume-2/0127.html

Pat

Nice thread...now we have a record so others may enjoy if they find the same option.

Still get plenty of crashes with 2.5.48 on P4 850GB and RAMBUS

hi composer
    Have you tried the new 2.52 beta?
    And if so is it any good?

Bjk

Originally posted by Sapkiller:
    hi composer
    Have you tried the new 2.52 beta?
    And if so is it any good?

Bjk
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sapkiller, it doesnt do anything. In fact, it was *really* bad IMHO. Crashes all over the place. I reformatted and reinstalled all my OS and regressed back a release. Talk about a lame interative release. What do these guys do all day? Two clicks into the version and this is it...6 bugs

GigaStudio v2.52 - Maintenance Release

* Faster launch time (especially for those with multiple CDROM drives)
    * Diagnostic enhancements GSIF/RME
    * Fixed a problem with GSIF_RESET required for RME cards
    * The sequencer priority registry entry was reading out of the wrong branch.
    ---------
    GigaStudio v2.51 - Maintenance Release

* SConv was generating files without Accelleration Tags and other attributes that caused GSEdit to prompt the user to update and save the file.

* GM500/GM150 - fixed \'dropping MIDI file on GStudio causes GStudio to close\' problem.

Check this out:

\"The sequencer priority registry entry was reading out of the wrong branch.\"

Yup..these guys dont even have adequate SQA. This is in the general setting on the setup screen and no one even wrote or follwed a UI test plan for a simple radio button <==> registry setting...if that doesnt scare you, concider that if they aren\'t even writing test cases and testing in-your-face UI functionality...imagine what goes on under the covers....

Booo tascam...

Yes...very little here...and not enough to risk a FORMAT/REINSTALL

The bug mentioned above that they fixed from 2.50.48 (reading off wrong branch of registry) should be enuf to worry yo about their testing procedures...2.5.48 was a MAJOR release for cryin out loud...and they missed this??

har har

Thanks Composer
    might as well stay away from that one then.
    Although its a betarelease, you would expect
    it to be at least rudimentary tested.
    I suppose Tascam is diverting all ressources
    into the development of version 3.0, but you\'re
    right - support is almost non-existing. This
    forum is all we got.
    Hoontech har a forum, which is what they offer
    for support, but at least they have a couple of guy\'s present in the forum to answer Q\'s - how
    come Tascam don\'t!

Bjk

Go Back to forum