• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Video Games Live tour cancelled

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Video Games Live tour cancelled

They cancelled all of the tour dates except for the ones in Seattle and Vancouver... I had tickets to the D.C. show. Bummer.
    Tim

Re: Video Games Live tour cancelled

Don't feel bad. I bought my tickets, drove all the way to Atlanta for the show, and realized as we walked up to the venue, that the place was deserted sans me and my friend.

What a piss orf. What made me mad was that there was no advance notice that the show had been cancelled. None at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    They cancelled all of the tour dates except for the ones in Seattle and Vancouver... I had tickets to the D.C. show. Bummer.
    Seattle and Vancouver? When??

That's too bad about the cancellations!

I was lucky enough to walk from my place to the Hollywood Bowl and watch the LA Phil Video Games Live show.

If you can, you should go...it was amazing! It was the only time I've ever saw an electronic drum kit play with an orchestra!!!!

Gary - the Seattle show is this weekend! You have to go! I think Tim Larkin will be there, as well as Martin O'Donnell, Tommy T., Jack Wall, Gerard Morino and a few others!

So what happened? Was hardly anyone going to the shows? Poor ticket sales? Man, that's a bummer.

Hmmm... I remember rumors they were planning on releasing a CD. I hope that hasn't been scrapped too.

I suspect poor ticket sales. It was an ambitious effort, and I think there is a market for it. But I think more publicity is needed, and a lot more direct support from the industry itself. Hopefully they'll be able to get a smaller tour off the ground in 2006. Meanwhile, I consider myself very fortunate that I get to see it this weekend. I've been looking forward to it for months.

Well, I think there's a lot of potential for something like VGL. It sucks that all the people that this meant a lot to are getting the shaft, but it's something that hasn't really been done yet and so there's probably a lot to learn about successfully promoting and marketing such an event.

I'm sure, at some point, VGL will play more cities.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

I suspect they did not have a good business plan. It was very ambitious (travelling with an orchestra is not cheap), the advertising was almost non- existent.
    Yes there is a market for it but obviously potential concert goers were not willing to pay $60 to see it.

Somehow I think it had little to do with whether or not they had a sound business plan. Tallarico and Wall are two of the industry's top composers - and you don't get to that place without knowing business. Perhaps they were too ambitious and could have scaled back to fewer cities, but I can speak from experience - the show was worth the $50 I paid for my ticket. It was a concert experience unlike any other I've had, and I'd just as soon give it to my peers as some multi-platinum selling hit-of-the-minute pop band.

From the little bit I garnered from conversation with them, and the posts they've made on the site, average ticket sales and a near total lack of support from the game and symphony industries made it very difficult for them to get any kind of support. Its tough to mount any kind of national tour without some serious financial backing, and despite a sellout of over 10k people at the Hollywood Bowl and what appeared to be a capacity crowd in Seattle, the 'people in power' still didn't see it as a viable show.

Hopefully positive reviews and ticket sales for Seattle and Vancouver will help them gain some financial traction so they can pick up where they left off sometime next year.

Go Back to forum