• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digital Performer/Mac/Latency

Share/Bookmark

Question Digital Performer/Mac/Latency

Hi. I'm new to GPO (and thos forum) but experienced with DP. I'm using the latest versions of both. I am getting a bit of latency using GPO in DP and wondering if anyone has suggestions. I've seen some info in searching the forums, but none of it seems to fit my setup. I'm on a Mac G5 2Ghz Dual.

I've read the tutorial (excellent) by Brian Munroney on using DP and GPO and noticed in the screen shots that patch names show up for GPO in DP. They don't in mine.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Digital Performer/Mac/Latency

Hi Paul,
    If you are experiencing latency, the only way to reduce it is to set the buffer setting to a lower number in the Hardware settings. 64, 128, 256, 512 etc.
    Go to Setup/Configure Audio System/Configure Hardware Driver then change the buffer setting.

There are no other settings that would cause latency as long as you are using GPO on the Mac and not some other computer.

I hope that helps. I am guessing you already knew that though.

I don't use GPO on the Mac, so I don't bother with changing the patch names.
    I'm sure there is good information on how to change the patch names to your liking in the manual.

dpDan

Thank you Dan. That did the trick. By lowering the buffer size to 128 the latency basically disappeared. By lowering the buffer size, what have I sacrificed? And would an audio card be another answer to the latency. I'm just using the built in audio. Thanks again.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Paul,
    If you are experiencing latency, the only way to reduce it is to set the buffer setting to a lower number in the Hardware settings. 64, 128, 256, 512 etc.
    Go to Setup/Configure Audio System/Configure Hardware Driver then change the buffer setting.

There are no other settings that would cause latency as long as you are using GPO on the Mac and not some other computer.

I hope that helps. I am guessing you already knew that though.

I don't use GPO on the Mac, so I don't bother with changing the patch names.
    I'm sure there is good information on how to change the patch names to your liking in the manual.

dpDan

Hi Paul,

You are causing a bigger drain on your processor by reducing the buffer size. We usually use small buffer sizes like 64 or 128 when recording. Then when mixing, if we get some crackles and pops, we increase the size as needed.

The patch names you see in Brian's tutorial are track names. By default DP names these Midi track 1, Aux track 2, Audio track 177, etc. If you option/click on the name, you can enter any name in the pop/edit window you want; Flute, Flute no vibrato, Flute measures 33-60, etc.

Good luck with DP and GPO,

Karl

Go Back to forum