• Register
  • Help

Topic: extra hard drive when available ide channels are already used

Share/Bookmark

extra hard drive when available ide channels are already used

I need an extra hard drive, but all my standard available ide channels are already full.
    I was told by the computer store\'s guy that I can add a \"raid\" pci card, in order to gain new ide channels. Sounds good so far...
    But can anyone tell me of known issues about that (conflicts with pci audio card, or whatever).
    Or is it totally safe to go that way ?
    Thank you for any advice on that topic !

Re: extra hard drive when available ide channels are already used

There is always a possibility of conflicts, but if you look at your motherboard manual, you will probably be able to figure out which pci slots share the same IRQ address, and you can install the Raid card and audio card in slots that don\'t share the same address. This will help with conflicts. I probably wouldn\'t recommend using the hard drive(s) connected to the Raid card for Gigastudio, though, as it may cause more trouble than it\'s worth.

The newer PCI cards are better than older ones were, though, and so conflicts have been minimized.

I would recommend Promise cards, which you can check out at www.promise.com

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks Vertigo for your tip...
    Anyway, I\'ll wait to see if there is more feedback from people currently using that kind of stuff.
    I\'m a Giga user, and a Windows minimalist, so I don\'t feel like diving into rocket-science issues for a few more gigas, without knowing for sure that silly people like me did it like a breeze...
    It also might be worth it (simpler option ?)considering replacing the HD with a bigger one, (it\'s just the hassle to transfer from one HD to the other...)
    Thanks anyway.

I\'ve used promise ATA100 and ATA133 pci cards and the ATA100 IDE on my motherboard and I didn\'t notice any difference in performance, nor sound issues with a PCI soundcard. If it were me, I would defenitly add an ATA card and get a 2nd fast drive for your gigs rather than trading your drive in for something larger. That way you\'d be getting more room for gigs, plus twice the hard drive bandwidth which could increase performance.

Thanks Aenigma !
    That\'s the second time I hear positive things about those \"Promise\" cards.
    And the fact you actually used that, makes me more confident about the whole thing !
    I\'m gonna check, I guess they have a website.

When I made out a shoping list for my DAW I added the Promise Ultra 133 controller together with two ATA-133 20GB Maxtor drives, thought that I could benfit from their <8ms accestime when using Giga.
    Istalling the thing..... no problem.
    Conecting the drives..... BIG Problem, got that nice bluescreen with a message about SMARTVSD.VXD driver.
    E-mailed the european support about the problem, got an awnser about \"You need to find out what \"SMARTVSD.VXD\" is.\"
    Later on I understod that this driver belonged to the Promise-card, they obviusly didn\'t know that. They also wrote that \"When you install too much software on Win98, you get blue screens and
    conflicts.\"
    I\'ve only installed windows and all other nessesery drivers. I thought I made myself perfectly clear about that in my e-mail.
    E-mailed them again but haven\'t heared from them again, What do they care! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Just thought you know. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just wanted to share my experiments :
    I finally decided to install a firewire PCI card (Ennyah, cost $40...) and to buy an external firewire 60 Go 7200 rpm HD -with controller oxford 911-
    While this kind of HD is a little more expensive than a \"standard\" internal ide hd (+30% or so), it has the advantage to be outside the pc, so easily interchangeable, and chainable with many other firewire hds....
    I did some test with a \"big\" Giga performance (big for me at least, about 72 voices), and the firewire hd behaves pretty fine, even when accessed simultaneously with internal ide...
    And on top of that, this firewire entry gives you a way to plug your dv camcorder into your PC for video editing ! (I tried with Vegas Video demo version, and it works fine as well).
    To make it short, I\'m satisfied...

Sorry, I have to rectify my last post :
    I in fact have some ISSUES with firewire/giga : sometimes -apparently at random-, loading a gig stops halfway, and giga is freezed, so I have to reboot...
    And it does not necessarily happen twice with the same gig, so I rather suspect an issue with the Giga code (indeed, as a \"standard\" hd for \"standard\" data, the hd works quite fine all the time... the freezing occurs solely with Giga load task. And it\'s not related to transfer rates because I did some polyphony tests, during which I had as good a performance with the firewire as with internal ide).
    So don\'t go that way for now, I would not want to be the one who put you into trouble !!
    I\'ll try to figure it out and will let you know if I have (good or bad) news.

The hot-swappability is a real asset in a pressure situation, but it sounds like Firewire is behaving like USB, where every now and then it just \'goes away, tra la, tra lee,,, [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

The other high speed but definitely not hot-swappable option is SCSI. More expense, more turn-on hassle, but it works well.

But in the end, your cheapest solution is simply to buy a bigger HD. A pain to set up ONCE, but then you\'re done.

Dasher

Go Back to forum