• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can any1 explain me that... ?

Share/Bookmark

Can any1 explain me that... ?

I have a 44kHz 16bit mono sample... a sound FX....

If I convert it to 44kHz 8bit it sounds worse then converted to 8kHz 16bit

Is it because during the bits conversion it adds a white noise ?

Re: Can any1 explain me that... ?

The number of bits determines the lowest level you can record; the sampling rate determines the highest frequency you can record.

Nick, that's a bit oversimplistic. It is generally understood that a higher bitrate will sometime give the sense of a higher quality sound than a higher sample rate. This of course has a lot to do with the frequency range of the sound. For example, a bass guitar will contain less amount of higher frequencies than a crash cymbal, and hence will translate better to a lower sample rate....however both sounds will be equally susceptible to lower bit rates which will result in a higher perceived noise floor from dithering and an overall artificial quality.

You are best off using a lower sample rate and go mono but stick with 16 bits...
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I thought bitrate was a compression parameter and unlike sampling resolution (bits) or sampling rate not directly related to digital audio.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    I thought bitrate was a compression parameter and unlike sampling resolution (bits) or sampling rate not directly related to digital audio.
    Bitrate is simply the product of sample rate and sampling resolution (i.e. 16bit x 44100Hz = 705600 bits/second). This holds both for uncompressed and compressed audio.

Greetings
    Marc

Don't confuse bitrate (as described above) with bit-depth, the first element in the above equation and which (I assume) is what Luk was referring to. Bit-depth is essentially a measurement of resolution, as it determines how large each sample byte can be. So, it's the resolution of the amplitude of each given sample. A 4-bit sample can only have 16 possible values of amplitude, so it will sound extremely coarse. A 24-bit sample can have 16777216 posilble levels of amplitude and therefore comes much closer to recreating the infinite number of levels provided by analog sound. So, usually greater bit-depth = better sound, but of course many factors including sample rate and whether a sound has undergone conversion or other processing affect the end result.

I think all that is right but someone jump in if I got something wrong...

Go Back to forum