• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recording Giga in Sonar 4...

Share/Bookmark

Question Recording Giga in Sonar 4...

[First off, please be aware that I'm a noob at every sampling/sequencing/digital-recording process except for capturing basic ideas from my Yamaha and Korg keyboards into Sonar]...

I've now got more than enough raw material recorded onto the computer, and I'm ready to start laying down legit tracks in Sonar 4, using the beautiful Giga3 (Orchestra) instruments. Problem is, I'm trying to visualize how the data flow is supposed to work. Once GS3 has been loaded as the Rewire device, I thought all I had to do was to set a Sonar audio track's input to "Giga3", arm the track for recording, hit record, play my GS3 sounds, and bang - one track laid down. But as soon as I set a Sonar audio track's input to "Giga3" (and Giga3 Rewire 1/ Rewire 2), the little "R" (record) button (in Sonar) disappears, and the little audio symbol turns into a DXi symbol. I can hear all the awesome GS3 sounds when I play my keyboard, or when I have a Sonar MIDI file trigger the GS3 sounds. The audio meters are dancing nicely in the track - so all those connections are okay. But I can't yet record anything, since the record button disappears when I select Giga3 as the input!

I tried the Audio Capture method in GS3 (opened Sonar from inside GS3), in an attempt to have GS3 capture the audio [while a Sonar MIDI track triggered the GS3 sounds], but when I hit that record button it told me it was "waiting for MIDI loop", and it ends up recording nothing, even though I hear the sounds being triggered perfectly(!)

Anyway, I've followed the manual to the letter, I think, and I've searched this forum. So,... could someone here who routinely works with GS3 and Sonar just fill me in on which crucial step I've neglected? Thanks for any and all help.

- Beanie
    Last edited by Beanie; 10-27-2005 at 05:52 AM. Reason: to italicize and embolden one more word.

Re: Recording Giga in Sonar 4...

I think you need to bounce it to a track, just like using any VSTI/DXI in Sonar. I don't have Sonar in front of me so I can't describe this in detail, but I believe you select the Gigastudio track(s) you want to convert to audio - the wav/dxi tracks, not the MIDI tracks - and select 'bounce to tracks' from the menu (edit menu I think.)

Hope that helps.

Red face Re: Recording Giga in Sonar 4...

Thanks for the feedback. When you say "bounce it to a track", I'm not sure what you mean by "it". What exactly am I going to convert? When I've got a MIDI file sitting in a MIDI track in Sonar, and I push "Play", that MIDI file triggers Giga, and I can hear the GS3 instrument I've chosen, playing my tune. So far, so good. But... I'm not seeing how those sounds get into either Sonar or GS3 in any permanent form - as an actual CLIP. (You see, I truly am new at all this! All I've ever recorded is audio and/or MIDI from my keyboards - no VSTi's, DXi's, nothing...)

I thought if, in a Sonar audio track, I simply selected "Giga3...Rewire 1/Rewire 2" as the input for that track (so the track is "listening" to Giga3, right?), I could record Giga's output. But instead, the record button of that track disappears. I don't get that.

So, I then try your idea about selecting the "GigaStudio tracks you want to convert - the wav/dxi tracks". Well, okay, even though I see there's nothing in the tracks, I see all of the Rewired Giga3 DXi track headings stacked on top of each other, all with a DXi symbol next to them, starting with "Giga3 Rewire 1/Rewire 2" (in Track 5) all the way down to "Giga3 Rewire 10" (in track 13) (then just a "Giga 3" with a MIDI symbol next to it, in track 14). So I select the first one, "Giga3 Rewire 1/ Rewire 2" (since that's where, in Giga, I've loaded the instruments I want) and choose Edit>Bounce To Track(s). Then, in the Bounce To Track(s) dialog box, I choose "Audio 2" in the "Destination" drop-down menu, since it's an unused audio track. I then click "OK". The blue progress bar goes along... and suddenly I see that a new recording has indeed appeared in Audio Track #2. Problem is, the lines are of course totally flat - no sounds - there was apparently nothing to convert. There must be a huge, basic piece of information that I'm just not grasping.

So, as it is, I still can't find any way of getting this beautiful Giga output to show up in any way in Giga or Sonar (other than the meter lights dancing while I'm triggering Giga with my keyboards, or with MIDI).

Can anyone tell me how to simply record these great sounds I'm hearing???

- Beanie

Don't usually use GS in rewire mode but I tried it once out of curiousity. Think the idea is that when you insert Giga3 into the Synth rack to make sure boxes to create Midi Source Track (Midi) and and First Synth Output (Audio) are checked off. Then on the newly created Sonar giga3 midi track, make sure the midi-input is set to the midi port your keyboard is plugged into. Output for this track should already point ot the Giga3 midi rewire device. Once the midi input is selected, you should be able to record your keyboard playing. BTW, make sure GS3 itself has midi input set to None... that way Sonar sees your midi for recording and routes it to GS3. The other Sonar track (audio) should output to your sound card and you should see meter activity there as you play. You don't record to the audio track, however. You record to the midi track. After recording midi, however, you can right-click in the left side of the audio track and freeze it if you want. Freezing mutes the midi track and pours audio into the audio track. Right-clicking also gets you into the freeze options screen... where you probably want to select the "fast bounce" option.

Hope I got all that right. Cause I use a gsif card myself and GS3's capture facility. Which might not be able to you unless you have a card with a gsif driver.

Howard

Hey thanks - I'm definitely going to try out those settings this weekend. I should, no doubt, be posting some of these questions on the Sonar board at Cakewalk as well, instead of laying it all on you guys. (and I do realize it's a challenge trying to explain things to a novice like myself - I appreciate the tips you're giving me though.)

(btw, you mentioned sound cards - I've actually got an M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound interface, which is gsif/gsif-2 compatible, so, I'm cruisin, as far as that goes)...

I'll let you know if I have any luck this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    So, I then try your idea about selecting the "GigaStudio tracks you want to convert - the wav/dxi tracks". Well, okay, even though I see there's nothing in the tracks, I see all of the Rewired Giga3 DXi track headings stacked on top of each other, all with a DXi symbol next to them, starting with "Giga3 Rewire 1/Rewire 2" (in Track 5) all the way down to "Giga3 Rewire 10" (in track 13) (then just a "Giga 3" with a MIDI symbol next to it, in track 14). So I select the first one, "Giga3 Rewire 1/ Rewire 2" (since that's where, in Giga, I've loaded the instruments I want) and choose Edit>Bounce To Track(s). Then, in the Bounce To Track(s) dialog box, I choose "Audio 2" in the "Destination" drop-down menu, since it's an unused audio track. I then click "OK". The blue progress bar goes along... and suddenly I see that a new recording has indeed appeared in Audio Track #2. Problem is, the lines are of course totally flat - no sounds - there was apparently nothing to convert. There must be a huge, basic piece of information that I'm just not grasping.
    I can't duplicate your exact scenario because I don't have GS3, but I just tried it with a little VSTI clavinet and it worked for me. I opened a blank project, inserted TickyClav as a DXI synth, selected the DXI track (but didn't hilight any portion of the timeline), selected 'bounce to track' from the edit menu, selected 'track 3' as my destination (track 3 didn't exist yet), clicked OK and there it was - a track 3 had been created with audio data.

I thought GS3 in rewire mode worked the same way, but maybe I'm wrong. Try to make your test as simple as possible (as my example was) to eliminate unneccesary variables. Also, keep in mind that if you select a portion of a DXI track that doesn't have corresponding MIDI data and try to bounce it, you'll get silence.

Jam, GS3 works exactly the same in rewire mode.... Beanie the way to do it is the following:

1. create the audio track that you want the gigasample recording to wind up
    in

2. Click and select the entire midi track for the particular gs3 instrument in question, let's say it's violins, select the violins midi so that the track is selected

3. While pressing the control key, select the gigastudio output at the bottom of your tracks, now you have 2 tracks selected

4. Go to the edit menu, select bounce to tracks

5. When you get the bounce to tracks window, on the top, select the audio track that you created (see step 1), also select whether you want this to be a stereo track or mono

6. click ok, and the audio from GS3 will be rendered onto the audio track you created

Do that for each track and each track will become an audio track that you can then mix...

PS: Howardv's advice to freeze the synth tracks is the better way to go - more intuitive and uses less tracks.

Well, you wind up with different versions... ONe with your midi tracks intact and another with just audio tracks... For me, real mccoy is the final audio tracks that I can then eq, effect and mangle individually to my heart's content... If I need to change anything, I can always just render that one track in the midi version and bring it into the audio version...

Sorry travidoro, I added my PS comment before I had seen your post. I wasn't trying to be contrary.

However, since the point has been raised, why not add fx to the DXI bin so you can tweak to your hearts content without having to bounce anything? Does freezing GS3 rewire tracks do any good (from a CPU standpoint) since GS3 is running whether you freeze the tracks or not?

If freezing GS3 rewire tracks DOES preserve CPU, then I agree - I'd render a seperate audio track for tweaking if I needed the headroom, then freeze the synth to reduce CPU load.

Go Back to forum