• Register
  • Help

Topic: Someone worse than Miers in tailpipe?

Share/Bookmark

Someone worse than Miers in tailpipe?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Call me cynical, but I'm worried that the next candidate will be a more crass version of Miers. The agenda will be to force the Democrats to filibuster so that we'll be focused on that rather than the Karl Rove scandal. Plus the rabid right will be feeling their oats and shrieking loudly.

Between Plame, DeLay, Katrina, oil prices, and deaths in Iraq, this nightmare of an administration is starting to unravel. They'll do anything to prevent that from happening.

Re: Someone worse than Miers in tailpipe?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/...ext/index.html

And it's kind of obvious that Bush's statement that he has "no litmus test" for his nominee is a bald-faced lie. He even touted Miers' religion as a positive.

I think the idea being floated of having justices serve 16 years is very good. That would mean one opening comes up every couple of years, and we wouldn't be saddled with total losers like Scalia and Thomas for several generations.

The Judical branch of the government is where democracy can take it's biggest hit because it's this untouchable group of people. I was not happy when they stepped into the Bush/Gore election with the essence of states rights (voting!) was at hand.

Was this Miers gal even remotely qualified for the job btw?

The whole social conservative thing is a bit of a smokescreen. Bush's real goal is to give as much power to the administration as possible.

Look at the Thomas/Scalia record. If a cop searches your trunk, he's in the right. If he snoops into your house, he's in the right. If he busts your head open, while you are freely assembling or speaking, the cop is in the right.

Furthermore, if the president declares war, there's a war. If foreigners are tortured, that's okay. If the president declares you a terrorist, you have no rights. If the government is operating overseas, it has no bounds. If you want a trial, the hell with you.

Miers comes from the Alberto Gonzales school of law - laws are bent to give the powerful infinite power.

It's called authoritarianism.

Then again, criminalizing abortion is also authoritarianism.

That's what the nominations are really about.

-JF

Agreed. They've pulled all kinds of tricks, including creating new offices that they can control.

Homeland Security, for example.

I agree with both Jon's and Nick's posts right above this. But it's the same with the Democrat party/liberal view too. They are all about taking away people's rights so they have more power too. I'll save you the plethora of examples.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

I don't disagree, but they're nowhere near as bad as Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    The Judical branch of the government is where democracy can take it's biggest hit because it's this untouchable group of people. ...
    Was this Miers gal even remotely qualified for the job btw?
    Of course not. There were two possible outcomes - either she gets confirmed, and Bush succeeds in installing a Supreme Court Justice with absolutely NO qualifications, who is so young that she would have a good 40 years in power, and who totally supports GWB's idiotic agenda, and/or she becomes a successful diversion to the real issues that are being fomented behind our backs and not reported by the right-wing-owned-and-controlled supposedly 'liberal' media (when was the last time Rupert Murdoch or Fox ever did anything 'liberal'?)

I believe it was Peter Jennings who was quoted as saying he never had seen such a climate of fear in the newsrooms of America in his many years as a journalist.

But the real point is just that - the Bush regime has created a series of attention misdirectors, as soon as one seems to be dying down, he introduces two more, so there is never time to deal with the important issues: Iraq, Halliburton, New Orleans vs. Texas, FEMA, election fraud, no-bid contract awards, etc. Once the pieces are all in place, be prepared for the feces to hit the fan, and suddenly we're in a Bush-for-president-for-life totalitarian police state (because of the Emergency War Powers Act, a perfect Catch-22: Bush starts a war, then says he can't allow elections to be held because it's too dangerous in wartime.)

The one piece of good news is that Bush supports the NRA, so we can buy the weapons to help return the government to the American people. For once, all the survivalst idiots in Montana are right - the government IS out to get you, you need to get it FIRST. No, I am NOT advocating the overthrow of the US government, I am advocating taking it back from those who have already overthrown it...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum