• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT - Gizmotron

Share/Bookmark

OT - Gizmotron

Anyone knows where I could get one of these...?? The guitar verson!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: OT - Gizmotron

For that matter, anyone know where I can get a copy of Godley and Creme's Consequences album- the 3 disk ode to and demonstration of the aforementioned Gizmo that G&C left 10cc to make?? I've been trying to get it for years.

Worra- is there a Gizmo lib in the works?? *drool drool*

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    For that matter, anyone know where I can get a copy of Godley and Creme's Circumstances album- the 3 disk ode to and demonstration of the aforementioned Gizmo that G&C left 10cc to make?? I've been trying to get it for years.

Worra- is there a Gizmo lib in the works?? *drool drool*
    Well, as a matter of fact, I've got that album...... That's why I want the Gizmotron, really. But if I find one, why not make some samples!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

very good idea.
    That album is a trip!
    "Lead me in with a count of seventeen Mr Stableton......"

Hans

BTW no wonder you didnt find it-the name is "Consequences"

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Anyone knows where I could get one of these...?? The guitar verson!
    Cor - you'll be lucky. Not many were made (and those that were, were flaky... very mechanically unreliable!).

There's always the EBow.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowsun

There's always the EBow.
    Not for chords! Although with a little ingenuity I suppose one could actually make a polyphonic e-bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    BTW no wonder you didnt find it-the name is "Consequences"
    Oops- you're right of course, I was having a brain fart. I recently pulled out copies of L and Freeze Frame and copied them to CD. Great stuff. But I never have come across Consequences although I haven't checked eBay for it in a while...

Here in the U.S the guitar one never came out. I know because I bought the bass Gizmotron and had a deposit in for the guitar model with the distributors in New York (can't remember the name..the guys that made the old Mutron Bi-phase). I saw both the bass and prototype guitar Gizmotron close up at a Namm show somewhere which is when I ordered both. The distributor sent the bass version out right away (I was a dealer) and then finally sent my deposit back after 6 months (what was that 1976-77?) and said the guitar version wasn't going to happen.

The bass Gizmotron (which I still have pieces of) was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. I had to screw it on back by the bridge. It had little white nylon/plastic wheels that spun. Each wheel had notches in it. The wheels were on a spindle and angled to hit each bass string. The wheels continously turned and you had to slide the whole contraption away from the strings to stop the effect.

Worse....there was an ac cable plugged into the thing ..the wire hung off the bass guitar and was connected at the other end to ...a wall wart! You couldn't move or the ac wire would get tangled up with the bass signal cord.

You could never get the little wheels to hit the strings right. They either were at a place barely touching the strings...so the sound was too soft...or if the wheels were to close to the strings, they'd catch and grind to a halt. It WAS like trying to coax performance out of a mellotron. Same mindset. To adjust the wheels, you had to lift off the "decorative" chrome plate guard and get in there with a tiny screw driver to adjust any/all of the wheels. which was of course impossible to do.

And the sound sucked. Especially on bass. The guitar version didn't sound much better at the Namm shows, but in those days of limited technology, we'd all eat up any piece of junk that came out promoting something new and different (like my old Arp Avatar or the 5 thousand dollar original Polymoog)

Here's how you can hear a Gizmotron effect.......Grab any available bass or electric guitar. Then get one of those little battery powered, hand-held personal fans that are always sold at places like Disneyland and gas stations. Hold a note or chord with your left hand and touch the fan blade to the strings back where you would pick. THAT is what a Gizmotron sounded like.

At the time, I'd read articles in R-E-P about the development of the thing and how great it sounded when Godley etc used their prototypes in the studio. My feeling is that whatever the one-off prototypes were, something didn't make it into the final production models. The end result had a very large suck factor and for all I know, I bought the only unit ever shipped.

GIZMOTRON..... inside story

Huh- so that was a Gizmotron on the intro to In The Evening. Never knew that. I always pictured it more like a Dremmel Tool wheel, made out of rubber or felt or something, just rubbing the string with a coarse surface, not beating it with teeth. I wonder if that approach would work. The notion of a multi-coil e-bow is making more sense...

Go Back to forum