this problem concerns a machine running winxp sp2 home, intel pentium iv 2.8ghz, 2gb ram. we're using kontakt 2.0.2 upgraded from the original cd by their upgrade file which we d/l'd by internet.
when loading lots of sample files into kontakt, the pc seems to have memory mgt issues even though there's apparently lots of free memory still left. the symptoms are:
- kontakt can no longer find the audio files it needs, even though they're right there in the directory where it's searching. when kontakt presents its search dialog, we simply change the name of the sample as displayed in kontakt's dialog box by changing the last 4 characters, which have mysteriously become "_wav", into ".wav" and it finds the sample fine. and so on ad nauseum...
- once we start running into these problems, trying to open other applications gives the error msg "not enough quota". [note: disk quotas are not enabled on the machine!]
- icons on desktop no longer display correctly, and icons and program links in the mru list on the start menu disappear completely.
- smt the msg "not a windows image" [or smth similar?] is given when an executable is run
according to the task manager, there is still over 600mb of free memory when this starts to happen. windows and associated programs use up about 275mb of memory before kontakt is started, and task mgr climbs to about 1.4gb during the loading of the audio samples.
pagefile.sys was originally set to 2046/4092 [start/max], changing this to "let the system decide" hasn't helped.
changing the dfd setting in kontakt's options menu doesn't solve the pb.
the system returns to normal when the kontakt is closed.
so i've got a couple of questions:
- have any of you ever had these kinds of pb's?
- why should these memory pb's be occuring when it seems windows still has over half a gig of free ram still left to play with?
- more importantly, what can i do to SOLVE this issue? kontakt is our "standard" sample player.