• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Book Reccomendations

Share/Bookmark

Need Book Reccomendations

Hey guys/gals. I need book reccomendations for 20th century theory studies. What would you reccomend? For example: advanced chromaticism, serialism and everything else from the 20th century which I don't even know about yet. Set theory, etc. What are the best books for these topics?

-steve
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Need Book Reccomendations

Two spring to mind.

"20th Century Harmony" by Vincent Persichetti.

"Serial Composition" by Reginald Smith Brindle.

I'm sure I'll think of others later.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Two spring to mind.

"20th Century Harmony" by Vincent Persichetti.

"Serial Composition" by Reginald Smith Brindle.

I'm sure I'll think of others later.
    Both of these are very good, IMHO...also "Simple Composition" by Charles Wuorinen.

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

What do you guys think about the books by Perle? I found them at the local library and started to look through them but realized they were hard to read without a teacher to explain some of the concepts a little better.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum