• Register
  • Help

Topic: Akoustic Piano for PC - how to get around recording bug

Share/Bookmark

Akoustic Piano for PC - how to get around recording bug

The recording and midi playback feature in Akoustic Piano has bugs.

Support says it 'needs work' and an update is coming 'very soon', but won't say when.

It drops notes when recording - even in one-handed scales - and doesn't render to wav properly. In short, it's unusable.

Is there any other way I can record the output? I have the Audiophile 192 and no other music software apart from Akoustic Piano.

Akoustic Piano sounds great to my ears, by the way!

Re: Akoustic Piano for PC - how to get around recording bug

Nope. Until NI address this issue with an update your only option is to record Midi in a sequencer. The built-in Midi recorder idea is nice, but in reality if you want more control over your recording (like fixing a few wrong notes in an otherwise brilliant performance) nothing beats a dedicated sequencer.

I like the sound of Akoustik as well. I'm not crazy about the Boesendorfer but that still leaves me with three pianos that I like. Hope that update is released soon.

Bummer, thanks. I may buy Cubase SE 3. I understand I can import the Akoustic Piano samples into that software.

I just want to play live and record, maybe with some minor editing too I guess.

Do you think that software is a good choice?

That should be fine for what you want to do. It's simple, inexpensive and upgradeable if you decide to get more ambitious later on. Just a note that after you've installed Cubase might have to re-run the installation for Akoustik Piano if on your first installation you didn't install either DXI or VST versions. Then again they may have installed by default. These two, unlike the stand-alone version of the player, are specifically designed to work within the sequencer environment as part of a virtual synth rack. There's some explanation of this in the Akoustik Piano manual but certainly more in the Cubase manual.

As for minor editing - trust me, unless you are a freakishly perfect pianist you will inevitably find yourself "saving" a performance with note correction (or deleting flubbed notes) more often than you think. The nice thing also is that if you decide later on to add some nice strings or drums or whatever to your song - you can.

Go Back to forum