• Register
  • Help

Topic: Underage Composing

Share/Bookmark

Underage Composing

Someone call the feds...

I am sixteen years old, and want to know if there are any viable opportunities for making a business of composing. I have written music for a few school-related events (in band, drama, etc.), but have never written music for money. My schedule, including school work and drama, allows for an average of two free hours every day (more on weekends). Now, on the assumption that there are actually people who would hire me... What sort of possibilities are there, and how would my age complicate matters legally? I am thinking in the realm of short films or "home-made" video games. Where to share demos, who to contact? I know a lot of you compose for a living, and would have plenty of knowledge on this.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't, "How do I contact Hollywood to score the next Indiana Jones movie?" I only wonder if there are any business ventures small enough to take on at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Underage Composing

If you are old enough to work at McDonald's, you're certainly old enough to make money making music.

Another arena you might want to explore is regional/dinner theater in your area. They are often looking for music cues for plays or other productions and you might be able to make some connections there. It is always a good idea to seek out someone who has had experience to help you negotiate the business side of things (being inexperienced, you will not make big bucks, but you shouldn't allow yourself to be taken advantage of either). Talk to local music teachers as well - it might surprise you how well-connected some of them can be.

But most importantly, work on projects of your own devising. Develop your portfolio with cues for games/films/theater that you think you'd like to work on. You never know when someone out of the blue is going to ask to hear some of your music. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. Regional theater sounds like a good bet, so I will ask around. My music and drama teachers do have some connections, which have actually gotten me in contact with a few people, but nothing seems to follow through.

I don't know if you play any instruments, but I'm 15 and found myself a nice $50/week playing organ at my church. I often play my compositions there too for preludes and offertories.
    That's not really getting paid to compose, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I don't know if you play any instruments, but I'm 15 and found myself a nice $50/week playing organ at my church. I often play my compositions there too for preludes and offertories.
    That's not really getting paid to compose, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

-Chris
    You're getting paid...and you're playing some of your own compositions...and no one has asked you to leave...SO YOU MUST BE DOING THINGS RIGHT!

keep it up...

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum