• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help me find the drums I need

Share/Bookmark

Help me find the drums I need

I'm looking for a drum library that's good for dry, natural-sounding drums. Let me say right off the bat that nobody has to convince me that the Larry Seyer library is awesome; I'd love to have it, and it's entirely possible that I will someday. But right now I just can't justify the expense, and my needs are fairly limited -- I am interested in a particular sound and would probably only end up using a handful of kits. I wish I could buy individual kits from the Larry Seyer library, because that would be the perfect solution.

The LSAD kits included with GigaStudio 3 are *almost* what I need, but the sound isn't quite right; the snare has too much of a ringing tone, for one thing. It's hard to describe exactly what I want, but if I could get close to the sound of Ringo's drums on "Abbey Road" I'd be reasonably happy. Close-miked, dry and clean, but not too "produced."

I've been listening to the MP3 samples of some of the downloadable drumkits from WizooSounds.com, and some of them sound like they're pretty close to what I want (and the price is certainly low enough). Anybody got any opinions about the quality of their stuff? And are there any other drum libraries I should be looking at?
    Robert

Re: Help me find the drums I need

The top drums libraries that I have heard about are Larry Seyer, BFD and Drumkit from Hell Superior. Within BFD and DKFHS, ther have been an increasing number of libraries released.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Toontrack DFHS Custom And Vintage. It was made with you in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Toontrack DFHS Custom And Vintage. It was made with you in mind.
    Word!

Cheers,

ck

Quote Originally Posted by bxojr
    I've been listening to the MP3 samples of some of the downloadable drumkits from WizooSounds.com, and some of them sound like they're pretty close to what I want (and the price is certainly low enough). Anybody got any opinions about the quality of their stuff? And are there any other drum libraries I should be looking at?
    I use the WIZOO drums (individual instruments) a lot and quite love them, except both crash cymbals sound a bit too harsh and piercing.

I use entirely WIZOO drums in this piece if you wanna listen to them in a song instead of just a few notes as in their demos. Homicide

You might also want to consider the free NS kit !
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

Absolutely, I use the NS7 free kit for a lot of stuff (plus there is a full version available at a very reasonable price), and its great. As other's have said here, if looking to buy new currently, the front runner for me, at least from the demos on the websites, is Custom and Vintage (with Larry Seyer's a very close second in terms of which I'd buy if I could only afford one) - If you haven't heard it, head over to the Toontrack website, and there's a user demo that's great - The kit sounds just like a kit a used to have years ago (or at least with my nostalgia-tinted memory I think it sounded that good...)
    http://www.toontrack.com/demos.shtml - About half way down on the right hand side, called 'Now is the time'.

You wont get any closer than with DFHS Custom And Vintage.

Nothing else even comes close.

JPS

Wow, that "Custom & Vintage" really does sound great ... that '70s style MP3 demo had me grinning. Although it still seems to have more ambience than I'd prefer ... I really want a very dry sound. I need to dig through the detailed information and see how much flexibility there is.

Still, at $300 it's not that much less than the Larry Seyer drums. More to think about, I guess, as I figure out which way to go. I guess I had been assuming I wanted a Giga-format sample library, but maybe I should be looking at the standalone virtual drums.

Meanwhile I've downloaded the free NS kit. Cool ... pretty limited, but you can't beat the price (!), and it's another set of sounds for me to play with until I find a real solution.

One other thing I can't figure out. The GS3 package includes a demo kit from Scarbee Imperial Drums, but when I look at Scarbee's Web site, I see no Giga version. What's up with that?
    Robert

Both NS7 (and older versions from http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ ) and the GSCW (from http://gscwdrums.com/ ) are doing their job and are free. They might not be exactly fitting every situation but it's a start until you can afford Larry's. If you feel you have to have more Toontrack is quite amazing from what I heard as well as others like Scarbee's Imperial Drums or BFD.

Hope this helps,
    PolarBear

Another up and coming option will be the drum kit that's included in the Garritan Jazz and Big Band library. This is a very natural and not over-produced kit. Very natural transitions between velocity layers with both left and right had samples. It also has one of the best brush sets. It definitely has a more Ringo type sound.

Plus you get all the other instruments included in the library. Coming soon!

Go Back to forum