• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga/Mac/MTP interfaces nightmare!

Share/Bookmark

Giga/Mac/MTP interfaces nightmare!

Hi there all,
    I\'ve just set up GS 160 on a PC. My sequencer is MOTU Digital Perf on Mac. My interfaces are two MOTU MTP\'s; an AV(the PC) and a II(the Mac). I\'m trying to send midi data from the sequencer on the Mac to GigaStudio on the PC. My cable routing is:
    (1) Mac <-> MTP II(via serial cable),
    (2) MTP II <-> MTP AV (via serial cable, network port->network port),
    (3) MTP AV <->PC (parallel cable).
    I know that #\'s (1) & (3) work o.k. as I can plug my controller directly in to either interface and get signal to te connected computer. I just can\'t get the Mac to send midi data thru the interfaces to Giga, or perhaps I can\'t get Giga to read what data the Mac is sending. I know there are a ton of guys out there doing the Mac -> Giga thing - - hopefully some of you using MTP\'s - -, so any help will be *greatfully* appreciated!
    many thanks,
    Bill

Re: Giga/Mac/MTP interfaces nightmare!

I would suggest running 4 midi cables from the outs on your Mac interface to the ins on the PC interface. That will definitely work. I have a Motu Express XT and tried to internally configure it to work with the Pc and Mac but was a huge hassle. Just get 4 cheap midi cables and you\'ll have no problems.

I would go with donimon\'s solution. I have my Mac hooked up to a MTPAV with a MTP2 networked to it. This gives me 16 midi ins and outs. My PC is exclusively for GS, and I use it like a sound module, coming in via midi cable into the midi in on an Audiophile 2496 card in the PC. No problems at all that way, but I do all my sequencing on the Mac.

My current rig is a Mackie d8b plus Mackie HDR24/96, with a rather old PII 333MHz PC running Gig96. DP 2.7 on my Mac connected to two MTP\'s, the MTP-AV is my main interface (PCI card to the Mac) and an MTP II connected wia network port. THe whole thing is clocked by a separate Lucid GenX6 clock at 44.1. Giga is connected strictly as a MIDI line from the MTP. with digital and audio data running from an original 20-bit Gina card, so I can have one S/PDIF port and 8 analog channels. I actually use a Zsys detangler to route S/PDIF through the rig, and it all works great.

Primary keys:
    one and one only system clock - from the GenX - separate lines of the same length to each clockable device

Setup of the Clockworks software is important (and I can\'t remember the whole thing at the moment, there\'s a lot of cra-er, stuff- in the rig.

Giga is ONLY a playback device (nonetheless, I can mix to Cool Edit Pro running at the same time with no problem-CEP receives digital audio, GS receives MIDI and sends back to the mixer (not to the direct recording option)

But it works very nicely.

Hope this helps.

Dasher

hey guys,
    thanks *very* much for your quick responses. I\'ve set up the system as reccommended and al\'\'s (currently) well. thanks again,
    Bill Myers, composer

Just wanted to let all you MTPAV users know that you can also accomplish the same thing with a single box. I am running a MAC into the network port and a PC out of the parallel port of a MTPAV. By running midi cables from the input to the output port of each channel that I have defined for use in GS the MAC drives Gigastudio. The secret, of course, was hooking to the metwork port, not the Mac port; having the MTPAV switches set for \"PC\"; and hooking input to output of GS midi ports.

Go Back to forum