• Register
  • Help

Topic: Took my own advice!

Share/Bookmark

Took my own advice!

Once again, I proved the quirky mentality of computers. My external hard drive, with most of my backups, failed. Troubleshooting yielded the instruction to uninstall and re-install the drive. My comments are not printable. I just shut the system down for a little bit and turned it back on, and all was normal. It appears that somehow, the thing got instructions to shut down in preparation for removal of the drive. Power down and wait a bit solves many problems!

Next, my Zen Micro, which has a removable hard drive partition, locked somewhere between on and off. For my music files, this is a safety backup, containing all of my Sonar and Sibelius files. After a few minutes of sweating over it, I took my advice again, removed the battery for a while, put it back, and all was well, except the date and time were off.

Then I spent hours trying to make a short wav file. Little gaps of total silence, all over the place. Other files worked well. So I copied all tracks to a new file, and in a few minutes, had my wav file and mp3.

I mention all this trouble because I am sure that plenty of others have had similar problems, and these techniques have helped me many times. I don't know why they always work, but perhaps someone does.

Richard

Re: Took my own advice!

indeed, a "cold" reboot (where you actually shut down the power, count 10 seconds before powering up again) solves a great deal of problems. if one of your applications has a memory leak or something, a cold reboot kind of sets things back to normal in a way that simply restarting doesn't do.

as far as the wav file... you (or anyone else who has this problem) might want to defragment your hard disk, or use any and all of the disk tools that your operating system comes with. on windows, you can find these by right-clicking on your hard drive icon and choosing "properties" and then "tools". this is a good thing to do on a regular basis, whether you are experiencing problems or not.

one last thing-- using a portable hard drive like an mp3 player is a great idea for periodic backups, but i think you should really try to burn some data CDs (or DVD-R). even a Zen micro or iPod can fail (my iPod just did). a year ago my computer died and i had some of my music (and other data) backed up on CD. I got lazy about it, and as a result, lost a lot of stuff.
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project
    www.nigam.biz/songbook

Re: Took my own advice!

Quote Originally Posted by nigamshah
    indeed, a "cold" reboot (where you actually shut down the power, count 10 seconds before powering up again) solves a great deal of problems. if one of your applications has a memory leak or something, a cold reboot kind of sets things back to normal in a way that simply restarting doesn't do.

as far as the wav file... you (or anyone else who has this problem) might want to defragment your hard disk, or use any and all of the disk tools that your operating system comes with. on windows, you can find these by right-clicking on your hard drive icon and choosing "properties" and then "tools". this is a good thing to do on a regular basis, whether you are experiencing problems or not.

one last thing-- using a portable hard drive like an mp3 player is a great idea for periodic backups, but i think you should really try to burn some data CDs (or DVD-R). even a Zen micro or iPod can fail (my iPod just did). a year ago my computer died and i had some of my music (and other data) backed up on CD. I got lazy about it, and as a result, lost a lot of stuff.

Good thoughts. I had not considered the memory leak situation, which I remember now, which can be troublesome in Sonar.

But why a particular file fails is still a mystery. Event list, all views show nothing to account for it, but the copy to new file always solves the problem. Seems like it should also copy the problem, but it does not.

Backups, I have plenty. Piles of DVD's, external 200 Gig hard drive, plus the Zen. Defrag and check disk is done frequently. My data files are not on the same disk as my operating system and application files. So it would take a real catastrophe for me to lose everything. Redundancy is a technique that I learned when I was in communications electronics.

Richard

Go Back to forum