• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tavern Song

Share/Bookmark

Tavern Song

When I was a child, this was one of my father's favorites, and my mother played it often. So she was pleased that I remembered it and did this arrangement. She thought the ending was a nice touch. She probably played it to please my father, who probably liked it because it was the only song he knew that had lyrics that could be sung in front of the kids. If my parents had known what lyrics I knew, my father would have grinned, and my mother would have fainted.

Tavern Itt
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=76921

The link leads to three choices.

Play mp3 (which is GPO Steinway). This choice is a blue box at top of page, streaming audio.

View the score and listen to the GM playback, not my favorite way of listening!

Scroll down below the score, or the blank spot reserved for the score, and under details, you can download the mp3.

Richard

Re: Tavern Song

Hi Richard! Would have loved to hear this. Can't download the plugin here at the school and since I don't have a PC at home till January, looks as if I'll have to wait.
    Styxx

Enjoyed it very much, esp. the non-sequitur unaccompanied quote of "Swing Low" at the end. A tribute to your father?

Quote Originally Posted by Dargason
    Enjoyed it very much, esp. the non-sequitur unaccompanied quote of "Swing Low" at the end. A tribute to your father?
    It was just a fun non-sequitur. My mother laughed so much that I kept it there.

Richard

Richard,

Is that you playing? That is just spectacular playing. What a great tune (I have a vague memory of having heard it before years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto
    Richard,

Is that you playing? That is just spectacular playing. What a great tune (I have a vague memory of having heard it before years ago).

The playing is not exactly me. It is me in slow motion, sort of with my Fatar keyboard and Sonar. The sound is GPO Steinway. My shoulders don't allow that sort of musical display. I am lucky to make it through Fiddle Faddle or Chopin's D Flat waltz without serious pain. Interesting that when I was 15, my hands hurt so much, and were near paralyzed. Over the years, the problem has migrated frequently. Now the hands are good, the rest of me is not!

The tune is quite old, can't say for sure, but it was old when my mother played it, back in the forties. But wasn't quite like this version.

I notice you are from San Diego. My brother has an art shop and studio there, called Studio 407, I think. Can't remember the location.

Richard

This was so fun, Richard. I really like the fast triplets. Very nice arrangement. The tune sounds so familiar! I must have heard it at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    This was so fun, Richard. I really like the fast triplets. Very nice arrangement. The tune sounds so familiar! I must have heard it at some point...
    "Official" name is "There Is A Tavern In the Town", and yes, it is traditional. I'd be curious to hear it with the Rain Piano or one of the uprights. That would be even more of a hoot. Hmmm ... might make a good demo midi.

But I digress ...

Nice Job!

Ernie

Even if you recorded at a slow tempo in Sonar it's amazing that the playing sounds so controlled yet spontaneous.

What tweaks did you make to the GPO Steinway? I have trouble getting the sound that I want with the piano. Ambience has not worked well for me so I usually use the wet version of the GPO Steinway which eats up the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto
    Even if you recorded at a slow tempo in Sonar it's amazing that the playing sounds so controlled yet spontaneous.

What tweaks did you make to the GPO Steinway? I have trouble getting the sound that I want with the piano. Ambience has not worked well for me so I usually use the wet version of the GPO Steinway which eats up the CPU.

Well, I did nothing to the GPO Steinway, I used the X-Custom instruments, set the velocity slider to max. (It works correctly with the Steinway, but works backwards on most other instruments!) I used Sonar FxReverb, with my own settings. Don't remember exactly, but not much reverb. I kept levels low, whether with velocity, or volume trim, I don't remember. If you are able, use the VST version rather than the Studio. Easier on the cpu. Then you can use something like the Sonar/Cakewalk reverb. I did this at 5 ms latency.

It is possible to adjust the Ambience settings to your liking, but I have not worked with it, as I am accustomed to the Cakewalk products, having used them for quite a few years.

As to the performance, I am pleased with it, especially considering my input. Well, my fingers have been "piano-ready" since the early forties, so I guess that enters into it somehow. I really enjoy it when I do a nice job, and I think this piece was a nice job, from idea to execution. I am happy that people like it, and much appreciate it when people tell me they like it.

If you have questions on the technical aspects, I suspect it would be better to ask on the Support and Technical page, where I will be happy to answer all that I can.

Right now, I need a nap. Shopping exhausts me. I don't like it. Reasonable quality and reasonable price are mutually exclusive terms.

Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast