• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I boost the sound of my midi music being played through my stereo?

Share/Bookmark

How do I boost the sound of my midi music being played through my stereo?

Every volume control on my computer is at maximum and with the samples I\'m using I still have to turn my volume wheel on my 100 Watt amplifer 3/4 of the way around and I begin to get hissing in my paradigm speakers. Is there something I can get to boost the signal from my computer to my stereo. I\'m confused. Thanks for any help. Also, I heard that having all of the volume controls at maximum might be causing some of the clicks and pops I\'ve been having. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    John

Re: How do I boost the sound of my midi music being played through my stereo?

What about your sound card\'s mixer? Is there a software control panel for your sound card that you can open up on your computer screen? Sometimes you just need to change your analog gain settings for your sound card here and you can bring everything else back down to normal.

My sound card (Midiman Audiophile 2496)settings are already set to maximum as well. I\'m not sure what you mean by analog gain settings however.

My system has a midi cable from my keyboard to my audiophile soundcard and then has a line that runs to my 100 Watt yamaha receiver/amplifier. Should I have something else? Does anyone know if pc amplifiers work? I saw one called the CARDamp. Do I need a midi mixer? Thanks again.

Gain, for all practical purposes, just increases or decreases volume - it\'s just the technical word they use on most sound card mixers because it embraces more than just volume. If your sound card mixer says \"volume\" thats fine - I just thought you might have accidentally forgetten to look at your sound cards settings.

What is the origin of the sounds you\'re trying to hear? Are they the sounds from GigaStudio instruments or are they from your keyboard-synth? Are you using a software sequencer as well (which should have it\'s own mixer too)? Do you have TWO audio lines (left and right) running from the Audiophile to your amplifier?

Right now I have both a digital cable and two stereo cables connected from my Computer to my receiver. Both are either too quiet or loud enough but with background noise. The only software I have is Gigastudio and and SoundForge XP. I don\'t have a sequencer. The sounds I\'m trying to use are 3d pipes, Eastwest Steinway B and some Post instruments, but even my internal sounds (RD-500) have always been way too quiet and with too much background noise through my stereo. Paradigms certainly are not the top of the line but they are better than my computer makes them sound. I would think that only hardware of some kind would be able to amplify the signal. Do you know of any? How do I amplify a midi sound?

Okay. Well, I think that narrows it down. If you\'ve had the same problem with your Roland keyboard - and it was audio-connected DIRECTLY to your amp without your sound card being involved at all - then it\'s apparently an amplifier issue. Not something I know much about, sorry.

Your receiver/amp should already have a preamp that is capable of driving the speakers with plenty of volume. Let\'s check the possible culprits:

First-can you play ANYTHING - the built-in FM, a phono or CD player, to decent volume? If no, the problem is in your amp, or speaker connection/power requirements. THis is the least likely assumption. If this is OK, move on.

Second - exactly where are you connecting the audio from the soundcard? It should be into either a CD or AUX input, or TAPE IN. Phono input should drive the amp to dangerous levels and should NOT be used, if you are bypassing the preamp by connecting to some form of amplifier direct input, this could be the problem. If you are in one of these three inputs, move on.

Third - Check ALL the volume controls in the PC - in the \'system tray\' on the bottom right of Windows usually you will find a speaker icon. Be sure the slider is all the way UP. Then check for the soundcard driver, it may have its own volume or not. Finally, be sure your Giga display shows the mixer sliders all the way up. If this is all OK, check your cables. If all that is OK, the problem has to be in the either the keyboard velocity or keyboard volume pedal, if there is one.

Final (or perhaps first) option-if you have no volume control pedal for the keyboard (a MIDI volume control, NOT a standard volume pedal on the audio out) buy or borrow one-your keyboard may have defaulted to a low setting.

If you still can\'t get volume, I\'m out of ideas.

Dasher

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I\'m confused as well. My cd player, dvd, phono, tape, tv, everything plays back at a good volume. Same thing with my other computer applications involving sound. It\'s like the keyboard needs to have its volume boosted by three times or so. I don\'t know what could be the cause of it but it has always been an issue. Maybe the RD-500 just has a meek internal amplifier or something. Is there a way I can hook midi cables through some kind of amplifier to boost the signal before it reaches the computer. From the RD-500 to the computer seems to be the week link. Any other ideas are greatly appreciately. And thanks for all of the comments so far.

Go Back to forum