• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Copy Protection Gone Too Far - Sony & DRM

Share/Bookmark

Copy Protection Gone Too Far - Sony & DRM

Mark Russinovich's blog describes in detail how Sony's CD DRM works and how it is tantamount to malware.

Here is his conclusion:

"The entire experience was frustrating and irritating. Not only had Sony put software on my system that uses techniques commonly used by malware to mask its presence, the software is poorly written and provides no means for uninstall. Worse, most users that stumble across the cloaked files with a RKR scan will cripple their computer if they attempt the obvious step of deleting the cloaked files.

While I believe in the media industry's right to use copy protection mechanisms to prevent illegal copying, I don't think that we've found the right balance of fair use and copy protection, yet. This is a clear case of Sony taking DRM too far."

Don't worry - we won't be using this copy protection scheme.

Re: Copy Protection Gone Too Far - Sony & DRM

Gary:

Could not get the link to work. Maybe it is just my computer?

Peace

Rik

Question Re: Copy Protection Gone Too Far - Sony & DRM

I believe the link to this is broken. Did the installed malware delete it off the server?

EDIT: Link did work a little while later, and any comment I might make about this practice would only be restating the obvious. But I guess nothing suprises me anymore.

Let's just stop buying Sony products.
    I stopped a long time ago. I can't stand the fact that none of their stuff is compatible with anything else.

It seems that greed is what that company is all about.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    I believe the link to this is broken. Did the installed malware delete it off the server?
    Well, the link worked for me. It helped me to decide about the replacement TV I expect to get in a few day, to replace my 20 year old Sony.

Sometimes, if a Video DVD does not work well on my DVD player, I will test it on my computer DVD, but never again!! I am considering my own personal boycott of Sony.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, the link worked for me. It helped me to decide about the replacement TV I expect to get in a few day, to replace my 20 year old Sony.

Sometimes, if a Video DVD does not work well on my DVD player, I will test it on my computer DVD, but never again!! I am considering my own personal boycott of Sony.

Richard
    Hi Richard, my old Sony XBR 27" TV is stilll honkin' but the convergence is getting bad. It has been wonderful. I will probably buy a Philips, even Samsung is really good these days, so is Sharp!

No more Sony for me though. It's sad because otherwise it's very nice stuff.
    Dan

I take it this involves all Sony products such as Acid and Sound Forge? Would the Root Revealer be beneficial as well on our systems?
    BTW - For what it's worth, the link worked fine.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I take it this involves all Sony products such as Acid and Sound Forge? Would the Root Revealer be beneficial as well on our systems?
    BTW - For what it's worth, the link worked fine.
    I sure hope not. Those programs that came from the Sony buyout of Sonic Foundry are very useful. I picked up "Vegas Movie Studio + DVD" recently, and it's been great for making really polished home movies. Haven't noticed any negative impact yet on PC performance.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Let's just stop buying Sony products.
    I stopped a long time ago. I can't stand the fact that none of their stuff is compatible with anything else.
    But I gots to have me PlayStation!

Just as long as this kind of copy-protection doesn't begin to appear on film scores . . . rap, ok, but not film scores . . . I don't want extra un-uninstallable software on my computer, I just want the music!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

This software sounds like crap...and if it does screw up your computer sounds legally actionable. That'll curb its usage in no time.

Go Back to forum