RAID for sounds or data?

Hi all,

My set up:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
    Asus P5LD2 Motherboard
    80Gb hard drive for operating system
    Two 200Gb hard drives – RAID
    4Gb RAM

With all the sound libraries I’ve been amassing, my RAID is now90% full, so I was thinking of getting another internal hard drive.This would leave the RAID room to breathe, plus I’d then be able to improve performance by separating sounds from data.

My question is, would I be better advised to put the data (Cubase + audio files etc) on the RAID, leaving the VSTs andsound libraries on the yet-to-be-purchased new internal drive, or vice versa?

(I’ve only got one slot left, so can’t get another RAID)

Perhaps it doesn’t make a difference either way, but I thought I’d run it by you clever folks anyhow.

Cheers,

Matheson
    Last edited by fructose; 11-01-2005 at 06:03 PM. Reason: paragraphs didn't appear

Re: RAID for sounds or data?

You should be running your OS, Cubase and your VSTs (and other applications) from the main drive, then storing audio data and samples only on the RAID. Alternatively, you could store audio data and samples on separate drives for optimum performance.

If you do most of your work with sample libraries, rather than live recording, I'd use the new drive for audio data only, and dedicate the RAID to your sample libraries.

Thanks Symbiotic,

Yeah, Cubase, my VSTis + OS are on the C Drive. (I wasn't thinking when I typed otherwise!)

Most of my work is indeed with sample libraries. I'll follow your advice and use the RAID for them.

Thanks again,

Matheson

Keep in mind that sample libraries that load into and play from RAM can be stored anywhere without effecting performance. It’s the libraries that stream from disk that need special treatment.

Thanks Bill,

What does the Vienna Symphonic Library do?
    Stylus RMX?
    Battery 2?
    Drums from Hell?

They all stream from disk, right? (Or not right?!) :-)

Matheson

VSL streams. I'm pretty sure that none of the others do.

Make sure that your power supply is up to all the HD's you want to install...
    When you load down the system with a power supply that can not handle it all, you're in for some surprises that you will not want to deal with .... Also make sure your case can cool all these drives effectively ...The larger SATA drives can run a bit warm ... I learned both of these lessons the hard way ......Jim

Go Back to forum