• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Where do you stand ...

West Seneca, NY

Question Where do you stand ...

with your work? Your music and work there of, in, out, over, and in any position? Where do you think you stand? In the middle, nearing your peak, or still struggling with the beginnings? I've been hanging around this forum (probably way too long) for some time now and wondered just where everyone thinks their respective musical compositional professional abilities are today?
    Mine, well ... I never thought learning would take so long.
    I was curious; I mean ... I was just wondering. I mean, I was just asking. Ya know? Man.
    So, who cares right? Hey! Maybe I enjoy seeing others grow in potential and take pride in showing off your work to other's! Heck, ya never know!

West Seneca, NY

Re: Where do you stand ...

To answer your first post...

Sometimes I feel I am top of my game, and everything works (me, the computer, the music) just how I want it to and I surprise myself at some of the successes I have had.

Other days I feel like a complete beginner, with no music coming from my head, or my DAW - or what does come sounds rubbish.

My learning tends to come in fits and starts - I struggled for ages to comprehend how synth racks work in Sonar, then one day everything clicked and I couldn't understand how stupid I had been with all my other attempts.

I guess everyone has good and bad days.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Most of my music is jazz improvisation on-stage. Performance-wise, I am past my peak (actually, a botched neck surgery has messed with my reflexes and timing is not as tight as it once was, articulation has definietly suffered) - but my compositional and improvisational skills have greatly increased as a result. I can't play fast, and I can't play accurately, so I have to make up for it by playing more melodically, and the extra time (playing eighth notes rather than 16th/32nd, etc.) gives me time to make more lyrical decisions. he end result: it's not as much fun to play as it used to be, but it's more intellectually satisfying.

To quote my drummer: "The older I get, the better I used to be!"
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Most definitely at the beginning. Over the past year I've discovered that I had forgotten a lot of what I once knew about harmony (so dove back into the basic harmony books, in addition to counterpoint and orchestration) and then discovered a whole lot more about sequencing/midi that I never knew in the first place. And I had the same battle as Richard with the synth rack in Sonar (how did that EVER seem so hard and confusing?).

Maybe by this time NEXT year I'll be posting demos...

...It's really frustrating at times, especially when you hear such great stuff here, but it sure beats wasting all my spare time playing "European Air War" or "IL2 Sturmovik". (Life32 is a different story, though).

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I'm always at the beginning, because there is no end!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Theory, composition, sequencing--no problem. Using a sample library, mixing audio tracks and final mixdown--still climbing the hill, but I'm at a steady learning pace. It's frustrating when you can't climb any higher without a revelation or someone to help you, but I have been fortunate so far in that I have been able to steadily improve, with the help of gifted people on this list, in the audio-mixing arena.

It's interesting that our community members are all at DIFFERENT stages of development along the musical continuum. I think almost everyone has a little weakness in some area and that's why we are continually counting on each other and helping each other to overcome our diversity.

I used to stay in the background when I really needed help because I didn't want to appear stupid. Then, I realized one day that I would never achieve what I wanted to if I maintained that position. Luckily, on this list, no question is "stupid." Audio computer-music is a challenge to produce and there are many problem areas associated with it, but once on that mountain-top, the view is BEAUTIFUL. Let's all keep learning and helping each other.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I'll agree with aspects of both what Sean said and what Jack said.

I'm always improving, and will continue to do so until the last note I write At the same time, I have my basic musical knowledge down: theory, rhythm, compositional techniques that work for me. Always improving and altering, of course, but the primary hinderance in getting my work to sound nice is the aspect of making it live digitally, especially since I most likely will never have the opportunity to work with an orchestra on every single one of my pieces.

I feel like I'm an alright composer. Better than some, worse than many. I would classify myself as pro/am, but I have too many distractions at the moment to consider myself more than that. I'm just happy that I have been working on things lately, in music and in life that help me feel as though I'm getting ahead.

It's not easy, though. Some days I'm in a really good mood and others I will find myself in a crippling state of depression. Paralyzed; unable to write a single note. But I don't feel like I'm passed my peak; I still have a ways to go before I get there. So that is encouraging.

My current quest is to find a balance between work and life. If I had to choose between writing music and anything else in my life, I would definitely choose music. I just have to try and find a focus point, where no matter how dark it is I can always find my way out of it and keep going on the journey.

I just have so much yet to learn! The mountain is very high.

Calgary, AB, Canada

You could say I'm stuck in the process of "rebooting". I am (was?) an accomplished composer with some award-winning pieces, but after a devastating blow I seem to have put it on the back burner for .... 6 years now. Wow...

I've owned GPO for a year now and only recently have I even installed it - mostly due to a weak computer, but also because of.... something else - apathy? Distracted by games? Fear of another critical failure? I'm not sure.

I've still got new music in my head just bursting to come out, but I still don't have all the equipment to truly do it (the only thing missing now is a half-decent MIDI controller, though that may just be more procrastication...)

Somehow I gotta' get kicked in the pants hard enough to REALLY get going... a project that's worth doing, a contest worth entering.... something GOOD! Maybe the next big Garritan Compose-Off!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Go Back to forum