• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Studio workstation desk recommendations?

Jersey City, NJ (sort of...)

Studio workstation desk recommendations?

I know this isn't a Garritan question, but there are no other people's opinions I trust more than the users of this forum...

My carpal tunnel has been getting very very bad lately, mostly due to the increased hours at my home recording setup (I can't bring myself to call it a 'studio' yet-- it is really just a corner of my living room). My setup is ergonomically hideous-- my chair can't adjust height, my music keyboard is too low, and the old dining room table that I use for the computer screen, keyboard, mouse, and monitors is too high.

My hardware is minimal and small, so I don't need a workstation that has tons of storage space... I also have a small room. What is most important is that everything has a spot, and that it is all ergonomical-- things need to be at the right height. I would prefer that my MIDI controller be part of the workstation, rather than on a separate keyboard stand. I also can't spend more than $400 (maybe I could, but that would delay my purchase of JABB, and Gary wouldn't like that ).

Please help, I am in pain!

My hardware setup:

Mac-mini (the Mini is super small) with a regular keyboard & mouse
    Pre-Sonus Firepod (1/2 rack space)
    17" Flat screen LCD monitor
    61 key MIDI controller (M-Audio Keystation 61es)
    pair of KRK Rokit 5" monitors (pretty small)
    Nigam Shah

American Songbook Project

West Seneca, NY

Re: Studio workstation desk recommendations?

Do some research for ergonomic items that may help you with your problem. When you have gathered all information pertaining to, look into building or piecing a workstation together yourself.

Argosy makes nice stuff. I like mine.

I'm not so sure an expensive workstation desk is going to help your problem so much... well, depends on how you're setup now. I have had lots of problems with my wrists too. One thing I did that helped A LOT was to switch to using left handed mouse. Then I switched from that to a left handed trackball. Now what I do is use right hand at work on the computer and left hand at home. It took a few weeks to get used to the left hand mouse, but now its easy...

Otherwise, my favorite desks are from Omnimax: http://www.omnirax.com/site/

I have been salivating over getting one of those for years. I move around too much right now though. B-)

"Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

One inexpensive improvement is to get a tablet. I've got a 6x8 Wacom at work, and have used the 4x5 at home. I actually prefer the 4x5, since it has enough resolution for anything short of painting, and you don't have to move your arm as far to get across the screen.

The only downside is the need to pick up & put down the stylus. Learning keyboard shortcuts can help.

I went to the tablet due to wrist problems that developed due to too much mouse-work.

Yea...I have been wanting to try a tablet. I think for me the only way it would work out is if I used one of those tablet PC's where I can actually see the image under the pen. I tried a tablet once and it was interesting to cordinate the location of the stylus to the screen. Guess people get used to it though.

The main problem with mousing is the button clicking. That's why they called Repetitive Stress Something-er-other. Its the index finger going up and down and up and down. I have sometimes found that different "mice" have stiffer or software buttons, which actually makes a huge difference for me at work if I am up against deadlines and doing a lot of intensive source code editing which involves a lot of mouse work. Also, I will try to switch between different fingers that I use for doing the clicking. For me...changing around to different hands and using different fingers for the clicking..actually helps a whole lot. I had massive problems before and since doing these change up routines I hardly have any problems now.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Shelton, Washington State

Have you been to see a physical therapist who can show you exercises you can do to help the problem. I had sever CTS in both wrists and had surgery. It worked well for me.

Nigam, this is not totally ideal, but works just great!
    Two cheap cabinets, and a 12 foot Formica countertop from Home Depo or Lowes.
    When I can afford it, I would like to replace these wonderful Sun monitors with thin LCD monitors, that will allow me the space to put the keyboard directly in front of me. I use a Mac for DP, and a Dell PC for Gigastudio and Garritan Libraries.

The computers and audio interface and a few other pieces of gear are in the closet which is vented. The cables run downstairs and then back up.
    The listening environment is silent!

The keyboard for the Mac and a Kensington trackball (for the Mac) is on a slideout shelf under the countertop, and the PC keyboard and mouse are on the countertop.

Very inexpensive and flexible to change.

Smile Re: Studio workstation desk recommendations?

I have found my Studio Project RTA Creation Station to be both functional and ergonomic. Everything I use fits in the racks and on the table, outside of my Yamaha digital piano. For $199 it is a great buy. Take a look at it here:

There are other RTA products worth looking at also if this one does not fit your needs.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum