• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music for 10 Instruments (Read)

Music for 10 Instruments (Read)

This is my first upload, and I wanted to to see if the link would work and if I had everything configured properly.

This is a slightly serial piece written for 6 woodwinds and 4 brass and performed entirely using Finale 2006a with HP. The piece was written many years ago (1972) and was, as I recall, influenced by Stravinsky and others. It was a kick to hear a 15 year old Finale file come to life! I had to update dynamics and play a bit with the mixer window in Finale. Comments welcome of course!

If the link doesn't work for some reason, please go to my website http://www.paulread.ca, enter the site and go to downloads. There are a few other pieces there performed via Finale and GPO. If this works, I'll post direct links to the others.

All the best

Last edited by daerp@mac.com; 11-04-2005 at 02:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Music for 10 Instruments (Read)

Nice piece! I can hear the Stravinsky influence (and maybe some Bartˇk too?) and it makes for some exciting material. I particularly liked that last chord. sweeeeet.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Wine Country, Colorado

Excellent piece. I enjoyed this a lot. I too hear Stravinsky and a little Copeland.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Nice job on this, Paul; and you're right, I do think I can hear Petrouchka as a ghostly influence; but it is surely not imitative, more a doffing of the cap.

Again, fine handling of a combination of instruments that can be uneasy companions, and an intriguing development.

On the mix (acknowledging once again that I'm a technical idiot), I think perhaps I would have backed off on the reverb a bit to give it a more intimate feel -- but, only my opinion of course... better ears may have different thoughts on that.

I am looking forward to hearing much more from you, Paul!

Go Back to forum