• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice on Dell Computers ???

Share/Bookmark

Advice on Dell Computers ???

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new Dell desktop computer for music production, I do alot of scoring. I was wandering if anyone out there has a Dell computer or have any advice before I make the big leap. Are there any negatives with Dell computers, or better yet any possitives? Any info will help guys...thanks.

Re: Advice on Dell Computers ???

I use a Dell. I made a mistake by assuming that there would be plenty of room to expand the system. It only came with one harddrive and when I opened it up to install another one I learned that there was only room for one more, and there was only one additional PCI slot avilable. So, the motherboards are pretty weak if you compare them to the ones that are available on the market. Just be sure you're aware of that. You won't be able to upgrade the motherboard so you have to make sure when you order it that it will be capable of handling any additions in hardware you plan on installing later, and that will greatly affect the cost of your Dell.

I built my other DAW from scratch. I think overall it's better to build it from scratch. The caveat being that with a Dell, you can get a nice flatscreen to go with it for the same money that you'll pay to build your own tower. But with a tower you build from a nice Asus motherboard, you'll be getting the best performance.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

My system consists of two dell workstations (2.8 1GB and another 3.4 2GB) and so far everything seems to be ok (at least nothing big happened).

If you can build from scratch and good at it I advise you to do so. There's nothing much you can put in a dell workstation - only 3 PCI slots and 2 xtra slots for internal drive.

So for desktop I assume there'll be even less choices.

Stability wise, I do encounter crashes once in a while but getting used to it!!! But then again, maybe because I was using quicktime movies for scoring in Cubase (still using 2.2) which is known to give problems.

I suppose finding your computer's shortfall and pre-empting any potential disaster is the way of dealing it (for my case, I just convert quicktime files to avi), even if you could afford better pcs (or mac). Anything can happen.

So I can say overall I'm quite happy with my dells.

If I was going to go this route, I'd go for one of the barebones servers instead of the home PC models. They have room for drives and seem to offer greater stability long term. I've thought about it in the past and have heard some good things about going this route, but I always stick to building them by hand. That way I know whats in the case and can spec my Mobo before I start.

You can build a comparably price PC from Newegg that is twice as powerful and uses better quality components. I built the following machine for about $700. Compare it to anything comparable at Dell and you'll see that there really is no comparison...

Antec Sonata II Case
    80GB SATA Seagate HDD
    1GB Corsair RAM
    Athlon XP 3000+ (Venice)
    WiFi Card
    NVidia FX5500 Graphics (256MB)
    Lite On DVD+-R optical drive
    FDD
    Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 MOBO

Pretty slick system. Granted the 'integration' and warranty aren't as good as what you'd get from Dell, but the system specs blow a comparably priced Dell away.

Ya, I was thinking of building my own. I guess Dell appealed to me because I am flat broke right now and they have a pay by month option. I just don't want to buy a Dell if it was going to disapoint me, that's all. Plus I need a new monitor and Dell seem to through those in.

Where are you? In the UK there are 2 PC makers that I would recommend for both price and features. Millennium Music (www.music-pc.com) and Leapfrog Computers (www.leapfrog-computers.co.uk) - Leapfrog aren't music-specific, but then neither are Dell. If all you will be doing is scoring and non-studio work, then IMO you can cut the acoustic treatment from any music computers (NOT the cooling though ).

Not sure about their finance options. I'm sure they exist though

Good luck!

I actually live in Vancouver Canada. I have been looking at the new dual core pentiums, not sure if that will help me much....any advice on those too? Someone also told me Intel is better for video than AMD, Is this true or is it just more fanboy propaganda. I find it hard coming up with concrete idea with so many opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by audiojet
    I actually live in Vancouver Canada. I have been looking at the new dual core pentiums, not sure if that will help me much....any advice on those too? Someone also told me Intel is better for video than AMD, Is this true or is it just more fanboy propaganda. I find it hard coming up with concrete idea with so many opinions.
    That's interesting, I live in the Vancouver area and this week found myself in the same quandary about what computer to get (see my post about CPUs from a few days ago). Yesterday I decided to go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and an Asus motherboard and Sonata II case. I went to NCIX on Kingsway which has very good prices and they'll assemble and test the whole thing for an extra $50. I'll be picking up my system on Thursday, PM me if you're interesting in knowing the exact specs or how it's working.

Good luck in finding the system that's best for you.

Looper

I would definitely be interested in the specs - I'm getting a dual core pentium system delivered on Monday (FedEx being well....). Will post performance info when I get it up and running.

Incidentally, Dell have got some good deals on here in the UK - saw the TV ads today - so may get one of their P4 3.4 systems just to run my sequencer (they are £399 and you get double memory free and I think a TFT screen free) and use the new dual core as my VST host / gigastudio PC...

Go Back to forum