• Register
  • Help

Topic: If I buy a new PC.... which OS would you recommend ?

Share/Bookmark

If I buy a new PC.... which OS would you recommend ?

I purchased my 1st PC (PIII 1 Ghz) and GS about 9 months ago, and well, lucky guy, I\'m satisfied.
    No nightmarish Windows-stories so far, like the ones I feared to live from my Mac-user-point-of-view.
    I must even admit that I consider more and more re-sell my aging G3 and buy a p4 as my 2nd machine instead of upgrading to an expensive g4 !
    ---
    SO, I need some advice : now PIV seems to be the rule, but what about the O.S ?
    I\'m currently fine with W98se on my PIII, so I\'m not sure I want to switch, but I am not sure either that w98se is the best to handle the new processors out there.... and future software developments will more likely be optimized for newer O.S.
    What would you say : \"stick with 98se, it runs fine on P4\", OR \"don\'t hesitate, go to w2k, or even better xp\" ?
    ---
    Thanks for your feedback !

Re: If I buy a new PC.... which OS would you recommend ?

For a standalone GS system, I’d recommend Win98. You can always migrate to XP when the time is right. If you’re going to run GS on a machine with your sequencer, go with XP. Forget about 2k. I found it LESS stable than Win98.

I run GS160 + Sonar on the same AMD Athlon XP system. Win98SE runs just fine on it, and I use it as my main system. I just built up a P4 system and another AMD Athlon XP system for my other two computers, and will try to see if I can get XP and Giga working on them. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I use a P4 2.2GHz with 512MB ram and XP home edition. Peripherals: Layla 24 soundcard,
    2 Monitors, Motu Midi MTP AV. Software: GS160, Logic Platinum 5.1.2, Soundforge. Everything runs 100% stable and I\'m very satisfied with the setup. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have a P4 1.7 512 ram and i run Gs, Sonar and Sound Forge in Xp Pro.. Works great.. No problems yet.. not even a single crash since i started using it 2 months ago!

Go Back to forum