• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ideal polyphony settings?

Share/Bookmark

Ideal polyphony settings?

I have GS 3.12, and was wondering what my polyphony settings should be. Up until a few mins ago, it was set to 256 max poly, and "alter transition voices to steal notes for block chords" (whatever that means) was set to 6.

I had a pretty intense piece in Sonar going.. very rapid full string section staccatos, etc.. and a snare drum kept dropping notes here and there.. couldn't figure out why. My peak polyphony for this piece was about 122. I raised the "alter transition voices" to 10. That seemed to do the trick.

Should I raise it higher? 14? 20? What does this setting do?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Ideal polyphony settings?

MDESIGNER

Good question.
    I hope someone who knows replies to this.

jamiha

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha
    MDESIGNER

Good question.
    I hope someone who knows replies to this.

jamiha
    No one ever has.

I've seen it guessed that the setting determines which voice in a block chord will drop out first when polyphony capablities are exceeded. I have my doubts about that, as it opens up about 50 other technical cans of worms.

Has anyone ever asked tascam? I'm pretty sure it's not explained( well at least) in the manual.

Belbin

The other thing about this mysterious setting is that no matter what you set it to, it goes back to 6 eventually (at least on my system). So I stopped worrying about it!

Go Back to forum