• Register
  • Help

Topic: Direct Disk straming Question.

Share/Bookmark

Direct Disk straming Question.

Hi GPO users.
    I've got a question about Kontakt players ability to stream samples from disk in order to prevent my RAM form beeing loaded to the max. I just installed the patch for the Kontakt player that enables it to stréam samples from disk. Maybee I'm missing out on something here. When i load the Steinway Piano ( not the Lite ver. ) it only uses 25 MB as opposed to 252 before installing the patch. But if I use and load a solo violin or whatever instr. i load it still uses the same amount of RAM as before installing the patch. Shoulden't it reduce the amount of RAM used by all instrument when the Direct to Disk straming patch is installed???
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sjamus :-)

Re: Direct Disk straming Question.

It seems to depend on the buffer sizes.

Most of the GPO samples don't benefit from DFD because they are pretty small and looped early. You will actually not see much RAM gain and will get lower amounts of polyphony from the DFD overhead.

There are also certain problems that can occur with DFD including loops and loop crossfades that don't function properly. These are among the reasons we don't recommend streaming if it can be avoided. The library was specifically designed to run in RAM. It also produces better polyphony that way.

Tom

Tom, now that you're here:

The RAM requirement for GPO is at least 1 GB, better 1.5 GB.
    Any idea what it's going to be with GPOA? I need to upgrade my present 1 GB RAM. Should I go for an additional 1 GB or 2 GB (I have to use paired modules) I don't want to buy 1 GB and then later have to throw it out, because it wasn't enough. And I don't want to buy 2 GB, if I don't have to, because 2 GB is a lot more expensive than 1 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Tom, now that you're here:

The RAM requirement for GPO is at least 1 GB, better 1.5 GB.
    Any idea what it's going to be with GPOA? I need to upgrade my present 1 GB RAM. Should I go for an additional 1 GB or 2 GB (I have to use paired modules) I don't want to buy 1 GB and then later have to throw it out, because it wasn't enough. And I don't want to buy 2 GB, if I don't have to, because 2 GB is a lot more expensive than 1 GB.
    Just because GPOA will contain many more instrument choices doesn't necessarily mean that you will need to load a greater number of instruments for a given piece of music. While some of the new choices may place greater RAM demands on your computer I'll attempt to keep that to a minimum to be consistent with the GPO approach to programming. This is not to say that more RAM wouldn't be useful - more is always better - but I don't want to give the impression that the GPOA instruments will be massively larger than the present GPO instruments. I would think that a total of 2GB would be sufficient for the vast majority of uses.

Tom

Thanks Tom. That was exactly the kind of answer I hoped for.

Thanks for all your replies.
    I can see that disk streaming might cause conflicts. Any suggestions as to how I uninstall it in GPO?

Sjamus

In the Player's Options, click the lime green Active button in the lower half of the dialog box. When it turns dark green, DFD is inactive. You don't need to uninstall it.

Thanks. Mange tak jeg ser du er Dansk og fra Djursland - er selv fra Skanderborgområdet. - Sorry guys - just the native tongue here

Sjamus

Go Back to forum